The 5 People You Don't Want To Be At CrossFit With

Believe me, you don't want to be that person at the box

285
Andrea Defilló

Being the new kid at CrossFit can be hard, so here is some advice on what kind of person you should not be if you want to be taken seriously and respected at your new box.

1. The Over Achiever

You don't need ALL the gear for one work out. You know what I am talking about, I know you want to look like you know what you're doing, but wearing knee sleeves, belt, and grips to lift a 35 pound bar, and do 10 knee to elbows will NOT help you achieve that. Just show up with shorts and a t-shirt, you'll be fine.

2. The Chalk Monster

A little bit of chalk is fine. I get it, there are days when the bar feels a little extra slippery, so go get some chalk, I'm not opposed to that, but if you look like you rolled in the chalk bucket in the middle of a workout and your station looks like a chalk crime scene when you're done it won't be so cool. Plus, it's a pain to clean up, THINK ABOUT YOUR COACHES PEOPLE!

3. The Booty Popper

Yes, there is such a thing as "CrossFit shorts" for women, and they're pretty cheeky, but don't overdo it. If the short fits you properly nobody's going to see your entire butt. When you're in a hot gym sweating your booty off you are going to want be wearing as little clothes as possible, I've been there. In fact us "CrossFitters" are famous for the whole taking our shirts off in the middle of a workout thing, THAT'S COOL, but it doesn't have to look like you took your shorts off too. If your booty is popping out of your shorts after every squat, and you're ok with that you might be at the wrong gym.

4. The Guy With The High Socks

Yes, high socks used to be cool, but so was wearing your underwear or bathing suit over your leggings to work out. My point is, they're not anymore, VERY 2010. So, lose the high socks (unless you're attempting a rope climb). Ankle socks seem to be hot right now in CrossFit Fashion. Personally, I don't get it, like you're telling me you gotta take your shirt of because it's too hot, but you're wearing socks up to you knees? Come on man! But hey, don't lose hope my young ones, they might make a comeback! Point is, no high socks, ankle socks if you must.

5. The Wannabe Games Athlete

Ok listen we get it, we've all been there. I mean, I wanna be Mat Fraser and Tia Toomey too, but dressing up in ALL of their Games gear will NOT make you Mat or Tia. We all have our place in the CrossFit hierarchy, one step at a time younglings. One or two pieces is fine, now go put in the work.

It takes a little time, but you will get the ropes of things in no time! Just don't overdo it, keep it simple, and put in the work. Look to the people who have been there for a longer time, and don't be afraid to ask if you don't know. We were all once where you are now, we walked in your shoes, and made the mistakes you are making. Let us help you, take our advice, and just have fun!