How Creativity Helps Ease My OCD

How Creativity Helps Ease My OCD

A look into why having creative hobbies helps with my OCD.
4

If there is one thing I am thankful for in my anxiety-filled life it would be my creative hobbies. I would go to therapy and one thing they always asked me is if I had a hobby or what I liked to do. I did not think much of it, but boy am I glad they asked. They suggested that I should do an activity to keep my anxiety low and my mind at ease.

You might wonder how activities such as painting, jewelry making, and writing help keep my mind at ease. After all, all of these things can cause some stress when you want it to be perfect. That is true, but they distract my mind from the repetitive thoughts. These activities help me escape my intense internal world and that is important.

I use to feel as if my art wasn’t “good enough." However, I came to realize that if the art makes me happy and I get to show the world my point of view, it's something I should explore. For example, I know I’m not the best writer on this website, but if I get to help you through something or educate you on topics, that is all that matters to me. At the end of the day if I am happy with my work and I’m passionate about what I do then that is all that should matter.

So I will conclude with saying, go create! Go express yourself, go create, and let go of the anxiety you are feeling. Find that thing you love doing and go do it. Make time for these activities because I promise it will be worth it.