I Created a Poll to See How College Seniors Are Feeling

"Sheer Terror" seems to be more common than "Confidence."

9
Tumblr

Last, I began my final semester as an undergraduate student. I was anxious for the future, and what it will have in store for me. I don't know what I'm going to grad school for, let alone where I'm going to grad school for it. I feel a little melancholy, because I feel like there's so much that I have left to do here - so many traditions that every student does here, that I have neglected to do. Have I been missing out by not drinking for 24 hours straight on a weekend? Or by not taking enough spontaneous trips into Rochester? Is my GPA high enough to even get me into grad school? Should I have focused on doing two cocurriculars well, instead of loading up my schedule with everything I could cram into it? Did I put enough stickers on my laptop?

I figured I couldn't be the only one going through this, so I put out a general poll to my Facebook friends, asking my fellow college seniors to tell me, in a word or two, what they were feeling going into their last semester. Here's what they said:

As you can see, there's a lot of ~feelings~ going on. Unsurprisingly, but not exactly good, is the fact that the most used term was "sheer terror" - mind you, I didn't give anyone word prompts. These were open-ended answers, and multiple people literally wrote "sheer terror." But we're also excited, and sentimental. We're experiencing some of the most energetically-charged emotions I can think of. Given the current state of the world, I'm not sure what it means when a bunch of young people who are privileged enough to have made it through 4+ years of higher education are experiencing these extreme emotions. But needless to say, if you're experiencing any of these emotions, and you're worried about your future, just remember: so is everyone else.

Now go out there and finish your senior year with a bang!