Artists: Create Your Artwork

To Artists Everywhere, Please Don't Feel Discouraged

Create those ideas you've had for so long.

I'm a self-proclaimed artist. I love writing, I love photography, I love watercolors and singing and filming. I adore everyone else's art and support their hard work and creativity. I love everything art and yet, I feel unmotivated when it comes to making my own art.

I keep telling myself I'll get to it, eventually! I keep telling myself, "this weekend! This weekend I'll finally start that project I've been playing with in my head." And the weekend comes and goes and that beautiful idea has yet to be created. I beat myself up over this and wonder how people have done so much and I've done so little. I compare the few things I've done to the magnificence of what others have completed.

By doing so, I become unmotivated. I don't wanna bring those ideas to life, I don't want to bother trying when so many other people are so much better at things than I am.

But lately, I've gotten into the groove of brushing those thoughts off.

Truth be told, I'm an amateur at everything artsy, and that's ok. Everyone starts somewhere, and for me think I need to be just as good as anyone else is insane. People have different styles and experience, and it doesn't make sense to compare an apple to an orange.

You are an apple, I am an orange. And that's okay!!

Artist, please don't feel unmotivated. Maybe there's a lot of things going on in your life and you just haven't had the time to do what you've been wanting to do. Maybe you're scared you won't be good at it. Maybe you feel lazy, or maybe you want to make that art, but you want to do it in private. All of that is okay.

The best things take time. If it takes you forever to draw that portrait, it's fine. If it's been years that you've had that idea for the film, that's cool too, just take your time and keep planning it out. Maybe you want to sing but you know your voice isn't like Beyoncé's. Totally cool. Just keep practicing and love the sound that you make.

What about the art that you keep tucked away? Do you think it's not special? It is! Even if your eyes are the only eyes to see it, I promise it still has value. Some things are meant for just you and some are meant for the world, but both are important.

It's time to stop doubting yourself and go for it. If you mess up, you learn from it and continue on. Don't be afraid to have sloppy drawings. Don't be afraid if your voice cracks or someone tells you they didn't like the script. It's okay if that video or that photo didn't come out the way you wanted it to. Make mistakes, and learn from them.

Art is not perfect, and it takes time. Some people will love it, others won't. The only thing that matters is that you, the artist, loves it. So, don't feel discouraged any longer. Write what you want to write, film what you want to film and paint what you want to paint.

All of those beautiful ideas in your head are just waiting to be created, so what are you waiting for?