3 Ways Universities Can Create a More Sustainable Campus

Most college students want to reduce waste and help the environment, but many universities are lagging behind.

4

If students really want to help the environment, it's time to get their universities on board to make some drastic changes. Here are three big ways universities can help create a more environment-friendly and sustainable campus.

Go Solar

Using solar power instead of fossil fuels for energy is a great way to create a more sustainable campus. However, students aren't in the position to install solar panels on their homes, apartments, and dorms. But universities have the resources and money to install solar panels around campus and on on-campus housing. Solar panels are an investment, but they pay off because they can eliminate the cost of electricity. They also require little to no maintenance and last for decades. It's time for universities to bite the bullet and finally go solar for a more sustainable campus.

Reduce Plastic Use

More and more cities (and countries) across the world are eliminating disposable, one-time use plastics. A college campus is a fantastic, small scale environment full of forward thinking individuals that want to reduce plastic use. So if universities vow to eliminate or reduce plastic use, students will feel even more motivated to follow suit. Not only does reducing plastic use help protect the environment, but it will leave the campus much cleaner because there won't be as much littering the grounds.

Start Incentive Programs

Universities can't force all students to abide by strict, environment-friendly rules. But they can give incentives for environment-friendly behaviors. For example, if you collect a bag of plastic to recycle, you can turn it in for some sort of prize. Universities could also provide incentives for students who ride their bikes, walk, or take public transportation to class. This will reduce the number of people who drive their own cars to class, which will help reduce harm on the environment.