7 Crazy But Totally Possible Theories for "Stranger Things 4"

7 Crazy, But Totally Possible, Theories For 'Stranger Things 4' That Will Flay Your Mind

Warning: Spoilers Ahead!

334

The long-awaited third season of "Stranger Things" aired over Independence Day weekend, and broke Netflix records with 40.7 million household accounts watching the show since its global launch--which is more than any other film or television series in its opening days.

And since 18.7 million people have also reportedly finished the eight-episode season, theories for season four have already begun to circulate around the Internet. Check out these 7 theories that could predict what the next season may have in store for us. Warning: Spoilers Ahead.

1. Season four will overlap with the explosion of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant.

Reddit Screenshot: Gamer_Nation

According to Reddit user Gamer_Nation, there's a very good chance that the Duffer Brothers are planning to line up the next season's events with this real-life explosion, given the way the seasons have moved through time and the focus with Russia in this past season. And given the show's focus on the government covering up what really happened in Hawkins, this theory isn't as wild as you may think. In fact, it would be a perfect way to wrap up the show.

2. Hopper is still alive...and the proof is the song choice used in ~​that~​ scene.

Reddit Screenshot: Montgomery7248

According to Reddit user Montgomery7248, the use of the song "Heroes" by David Bowie aligns to a scene we saw in season one when they find Will's "dead" body in the quarry. Although it may seem like a stretch, we can only hope that the Duffer Brothers were creative enough to think of this parallel.

3. Hopper is alive and is "The American".

Reddit Screenshot: Gizwizard

Many have speculated that "The American" that is referenced in the post-credit scene in the secret Russian facility can only be Hopper. In this scene, we see one of the humans being held captive and fed to a Demogorgon, and Reddit user Gizwizard thinks this scene is included because "The American" is special to the Russians in some way. The reason being? Dr. Brenner orchestrated the entire thing as a way to capture Hopper to continue his research.

4. The "The Neverending Story" scene may allude to the future of the series.

Reddit Screenshot: xXfrancscio04Xx

It's no doubt that one of the best scenes in this season was during the midst of chaos and panic, Suzie and Dustin break out into "The Neverending Story" theme song over their walkie-talkies. But Reddit user xXfrancisco04Xx hypothesizes that this scene was more than just comedic relief. The user says that the lyrics of the song hint at the fate of Eleven and Hopper--which you've got to admit if it's true, that would be a pretty amazing way to hint at future events.

5. Hopper could be the main villain for the next season.

Reddit Screenshot: Conor_mc7

Just like with how Billy was this season's villain through his brainwash, user Conor_mc7 believes that the same fate could be held for Hopper if he is alive in the Russian base. It would be a heartbreaking storyline, but it would make sense given previous events.

6. Eleven is going to die.

media.giphy.com

"Stranger Things" was originally never expected to move past the first season, and the Duffer Brothers originally were planning on having Eleven sacrifice herself to save the day as that "was always the endgame." Would it be too far of a stretch to assume that when the series does wrap up in either the fourth or fifth season that Ele's fate will remain the same?

7. And finally, the next season could pull an "Avengers: Endgame" move and include time travel.

Reddit Screenshot: ThinkThink23

Given the focus on "Back to the Future", would it be so crazy to believe that time travel is a possibility? Apparently not for Reddit user ThinkThink23, who notes the moments where this possibility and may have been foreshadowed by the producers. Could it be possible? After all, stranger things have happened.

What do you think the next season will include? Let us know in the comments!