Is COVID-19 Actually Over?

Is COVID-19 Actually Over?

"Coronavirus doesn't affect rats and snakes, so most of you are safe."

5
Is COVID-19 Actually Over?

The virus started to spread in China around New Years, so it's been roughly 5 months since the beginning of the situation. However, different areas around the world got hit with cases at different times; therefore, many cities did not begin shutting down until much later. Compared to the rest of the United States, I feel like Tallahassee was one of the last cities to implement the stay-at-home order and abide by social distancing.

I lost my job in the hospitality industry when everything closed down in mid-March but I was able to get a new job within three weeks. Although it wasn't ideal and wasn't particularly what I wanted to be doing, it gave me something to do. I did not want to stay cooped up in the house day after day with nothing to do. Especially once classes ended. I've never been one to sit and twiddle my thumbs so when everything closed, I felt it heavy.

But everything didn't really close... Restaurants couldn't have people inside but there were still pick up orders and deliveries being made. People were still out and about, going to grocery stores and parks, trying to find ways to social distance but still get out of the house. Some people wore masks and gloves; I was not one of these people.

It's been about a month and a half and places are already starting to reopen. Yes, they're supposed to continue to abide by social distancing protocols but more and more people are venturing out. Stores are getting packed and people are starting to test the boundaries of where they can venture. Beaches are starting to open and everyone is flocking to the sands but no one is maintaining the proper distancing.

Is it time to reopen? Or are we getting a little ahead of things? Sure, the world will have to return to normal eventually but I'm wondering if we're jumping the gun a little. Some places haven't even reached their peaks and I'm not going to lie, it was pretty nice not having to deal with people. Part of me doesn't want things to go back to the way they were but that's impossible. However, hopefully the world can create a new normal with less crowding and more comfort.