The Courage Of Esther

The Courage Of Esther

Because every woman of God should know her story.
“If you keep quiet at a time like this, deliverance and relief for the Jews will arise from some other place, but you and your relatives will die. Who knows if perhaps you were made queen for just such a time as this?” Esther 4:14 New Living Translation (NIV)

My sister writes this bible verse on the chalkboard in her room. It’s underlined in my bible. I see it on plaques and written across pillows at cute stores like Altar’d State. There’s no denying that as women, we feel an emotional attachment to Esther. Not because she was young, beautiful, and innocent. Not because she won the king’s favor and became his queen. We feel strongly about this book of the bible because she was courageous. God gave her a job to do and she faithfully did it.

“Then, Haman approached King Xerxes and said, “There is a certain race of people scattered through all the provinces of your empire who keep themselves separate from everyone else. Their laws are different from those of any other people, and they refuse to obey the laws of the king. So it is not in the king’s interest to let them live. If it pleases the king, issue a decree that they be destroyed, and I will give 10,000 large sacks of silver to the government administrators to be deposited in the royal treasury.” Esther 3:8-9 New Living Translation (NIV)

Haman was a high ranking official in the King’s empire and he had a hatred for Jews. He convinced the king to issue a decree that would wipe out all the jews in the region. Ironically, Esther was Jewish.

The king never knew of her family origins. While she was in the palace, her uncle, Mordecai, sent word of what was to come. She needed to take action. But, she was only a woman and despite being queen, she still had no rights. The king could have her killed if she approached him without being summoned.

Esther was scared and knew her life was at risk. But what is the infamous bible verse all women of God know? Mordecai told her “perhaps you were made queen for just such a time as this.”

Esther’s story is universal. When you know what needs to be done, do it. When you see someone doing something wrong, say so. There might be repercussions when you do what is right but, what is right isn't always so easy to do. God chose Esther to be the one to save the jews. He put her in her position so she would make a difference. You are where you are for a reason.It could be a reason that you could never have dreamed of on your own.