I Followed My Brother With Down Syndrome On His First Date

This is what I saw.

292
Molly Claire Holcombe

I followed my brother and his new girlfriend on their first date. I acted as the paparazzi, if you will. It struck me that many people may wonder what dating is like for those with Down syndrome, so here is your all-access pass. This is exactly what it's like:

Rion was a bit nervous at first, but he also couldn't contain his excitement as he waited.

When Rion saw Rachel, his excitement because obvious because he ran up to her and immediately greeted her with the biggest hug imaginable.

Being the gentleman he is, Rion went to buy his girl a ticket to play putt-putt (all the while holding her hand).

It was a double date so they had to have a group picture, of course!

From there, the games began. Clearly, they were full of smiles.

I mean seriously.

Look at all of those smiles.

When the game was over, they held hands to the desk where they returned their putters.

And my brother kissed her on the forehead (no, I didn't know that was going to happen when I took this). I mean, they want love and affection just as much (if not more) than we do.

Since the game was over, they had to go tell their friends every little detail.

And then they found their parents who were watching over them anxiously.

They ended the night with a dance followed by the applause of a crowd of people.

Dating with Down syndrome isn't much unlike dating without it. They want what we want. The only real difference is they have to drag their parents around with them or else they have no ride. Down syndrome dating: There's nothing down about it.