A Country Divided

A Country Divided

Divided we stand, divided we fall.

9
A Country Divided
Google Images

Only four days ago, we celebrated the birth of our country that happened 240 years ago. We spend our time on the 4th of July with fireworks, time on the grill and hanging out with our friends. 240 years ago our country came together and fought for their independence. We did the impossible because we stood tall and fought Great Britain together. It’s pretty incredible how much our country has accomplished.

In the four days after our national birthday, we have seen four cops die and also two African American males die. How can a country like the US be so strong, be seen as so perfect, but be so divided? We are so worried about fighting the war on terror when we can’t go a day without violence within our own borders. It’s sickening. With that being said, I have something to say to both sides.

To the African-American community, let me start off by saying I’m sorry. The atrocities that you guys have had to go through and will go through everyday are beyond anything that a white male like me will ever have to experience. But just because there has been cops killing innocent black civilians does not mean that all cops are murderers. To the people who have the tag on cops, I truly hope that you will need a cop to help you someday. The men and women that go out there every day with no guarantee to come home made a promise to serve and protect the people of our country. Have they? Absolutely. To those that think otherwise, tell me who were the people that ran towards the gunfire on Thursday night? Tell me who ran towards the twin towers on 9/11? These men and women will give anything and everything to protect us. Yes, there are outliers that have not done the right thing and they deserve nothing but the worst, but that’s not the majority.

To our law enforcement, I want to say thank you for waking up everyday and protecting us. Without you guys, who knows where our country is? You go to work everyday with no guarantee of coming back home and that’s a sacrifice every American should respect and appreciate. But to the crooked cops out there, shame on you. Innocent people have been killed from the people who are supposed to protect us. How can we let this happen? There is absolutely zero excuse. How can these cops get let off the hook so fast too, with such crystal clear evidence that they are guilty? Just because they have the title of a cop doesn’t mean they should be above the law. As far as I’m concerned, behind every badge is just another human being just like me and it needs to stay that way. This needs to stop.

To the families affected by the murders in Dallas and also the families of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, I pray for you. I just hope that the events this week open the eyes of Americans all around the world and that they notice how much this country is dividing itself. We need to come together as one, just like our ancestors did 240 years ago to do the impossible.