It Could Have Been The Best Night Of My Life

You might be a natural crier, just like me, but that doesn't mean we have to let our emotions negatively impact our experiences.

85
Michael Donovan via Fashion Gone Rogue

On a Friday night during college, I would get ready, meet up with my friends and head out for a night on the town. Your average college experience, right?

Not so fast.

I’m not sure if it was my natural instinct to cry, or the overwhelming burden of stress that was looming, but I can’t remember many nights that didn’t involve tears.

“Wtf” is probably what you’re thinking. “Who does that?”

Or you're shaking your head in agreement because you know exactly what I'm talking about.

You might be shocked to hear this, but it’s more common than meets the eye. We criers are very good at hiding it or playing it off as something that isn’t really bothering us (unless you’re dating us, then you’ve known what was coming since 30 minutes before the tears fell).

Sure, I’m a crier. It’s my natural instinct to let my eyes water their way through every high and low in my life. But I’m just now realizing that for too long, I have been letting the simplest problems — and even nonexistent problems — ruin my nights and, ultimately, the best time of my life.

The new me to the old me: “Are you kidding?! You're in your twenties! It’s time to learn and live as much as you freaking can!”

I’m not saying my college years were a drag because that’s far from the truth. But too often, I was letting my insecurities, my self-doubt and my first-handed nature to think someone is lying to me, alter the way I experienced life.

And I’ve decided — just recently actually — that I will never live like that again. I refuse to live that way, and so should you.

This past year has been one of full-hearted discovery. I’m the happiest I’ve ever been, even as I continue to face struggles and hardships. I’ve embraced the hard parts of life as opportunities to learn and grow — to live more full of love, compassion and grace. It sickens me to the core to think that I may have actually ruined some of the best nights of my life all because of… what?

Well, I’m done.

I’m done letting my nights be ruined. Tears will happen, I’m sure of it, but no longer will they define the outcome of my night.

Cry it out and move on sister, the dance floor is calling your name. Your friends still love you, your SO still wants to be with you and the world will continue to spin. By continuing to cry and feeling sorry for yourself, you just might be ruining what could be one of the best nights of your life.

ONE OF THE BEST NIGHTS OF YOUR LIFE.

Doesn’t that scare the hell out of you? Because it sure has scared the hell out of me.

It pains me to know that many of my greatest memories are also accompanied with an unnecessary argument, tears (the sad kind, not the happy kind), or the ultimate feeling of guilt the next morning.

I’m turning a new leaf. Heck, I’m already seeing the glass half full. I hope this inspires you (or scares you) into doing so, too.

Cheers to embracing life and the love you have for it.