Cottagecore Is The One Style We All Needed To Trend. Here's Why.

The Cottagecore aesthetic offers people a sense of escapism, which is something I believe everyone needs a little of right now.

31

It's no secret that the year 2020 has sucked. I mean, it really is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the turn of a decade (besides the 1920s and the swine flu, but that's beside the point). With it being an election year in the middle of both a pandemic and a social revolution with climate change looming over us, we need a BREAK.

May I present to you: the Cottagecore aesthetic. If you haven't heard of what this trending yet vintage lifestyle is, I suggest that you pop open Tik Tok and search it immediately. This mainstream lifestyle is a breath of fresh air from the dozens of other styles out there on the world-wide-web.

So, what is Cottagecore?

Think of a lifestyle where quiet farm life meets fairytale cottage dwelling. While the aesthetic is inspired by 1800's rural living, it has romantic and feminine notes. Movies such as "Pride and Prejudice" and "Little Women" encapture the essence of a Cottagecore lifestyle. Cottagecore borrows trends from centuries ago, all while leaving behind the traditional values of the day. It is very much an inclusive, pro-woman, pro-lgbt+ lifestyle, welcoming all people of all backgrounds to enjoy its comfort.

Most importantly, Cottagecore allows people a sense of escapism, which is something I believe everyone needs a little of right now. While I would argue that completely detaching from the present matters at hand is unhealthy, allowing yourself to enter a bubble of creativity and tranquility can allow your mind to heal from the chaos of the world.

While many people may not have access to a literal cottage in the woods, anyone can experience the restful atmosphere that Cottagecore provides. Simple activities like sticking your nose in your favorite novel, steeping lavender tea, or watering your balcony plants are all rituals one can find in Cottagecore. These habits are meant to center you, to bring peace and stillness into an anxious world.

The purpose of Cottagecore is to focus on the here-and-now in a whimsical, warm, and cozy homestead. The lifestyle encourages the nursing of your own wellbeing by being around nature, cooking from scratch, and journaling.

Even the fashion of Cottagecore encourages a sense of escapism and freedom. A staple of Cottagecore fashion is light and airy skirts and dresses, often worn on a model frolicking in a field or exploring an open forest. Cottagecore women seldom pin their hair up, opting for a liberated, natural hairstyle instead. The clothing, while beautiful, is also draping and loose with unapologetically feminine details like puffed sleeves and ruffles. It errs on the side of comfort because that is ultimately the Cottagecore ideal.

If you feel cemented in these trying times, Cottagecore may offer you an outlet of comfort and healing. Unlike every other trend to pass, this style promotes wellbeing without toxic positivity or a promise of physical abundance. It wants you to see the joy in the little moments of your day and encourages you to add new, healing rituals into your life. Cottagecore allows anyone a chance to seek peace in the present and an opportunity for self-love, so come as you are.