I Vaccine, You Vaccine, We All Vaccine

I Vaccine, You Vaccine, We All Vaccine

It is hard enough to get people to wear a mask and stay 6 feet from their neighbor, how can we expect them to stick their arm out and let someone poke them with a drug that has the potential to cure a disease that is killing their fellow man.

41
I Vaccine, You Vaccine, We All Vaccine

The year 2020 has given us some unprecedented experiences. First and foremost is the pandemic and the drug companies that have been able to create and distribute a vaccine for COVID-19 in record time. However, Europe and Asia stick their arm out and say, "yes please," to the medical professionals in their countries, the United States begins its journey of dissecting the pros and cons of this important medicine and how it will affect us.

According to Google research and Wikipedia, "A vaccine is a biological preparation that provides active acquired immunity to a particular infectious disease. A vaccine typically contains an agent that resembles a disease-causing microorganism and is often made from weakened or killed forms of the microbe, its toxins, or one of its surface proteins. The agent stimulates the body's immune system to recognize the agent as a threat, destroy it, and to further recognize and destroy any of the microorganisms associated with that agent that it may encounter in the future. Vaccines can be prophylactic, or therapeutic."

That said, many people will turn their noses up and walk away from this vaccine as they feel that it is a hoax, another way for big pharma to invade our bodies. Or a chemical that is not needed because they believe they have antibodies that should prevent them from getting sick.

We can all agree, we are surrounded by chemicals in our environment and the pandemic itself was more than likely created by a chemical that morphed into the deadliest virus in over one hundred years. So, as you refuse the vaccine and drink that bottled water or diet soda from a plastic container, buy the processed food from the local grocery store, don't forget those items all have chemicals invading your environment and you don't seem to be too concerned about them.

But how do we make sure that more the seventy-five percent of the population takes the vaccine and we can eradicate it by 2021? The media has yet to get to this topic. Seems nobody wants to have that discussion with the population in the United States. However, I did with a small group of co-workers. Two out of the seven women in the group said they refuse to get the vaccine unless it is mandated by the government. Others stayed did not participate in the discussion, so like most polls, there is a big curve of who is honest, who is willing to talk, and the truth. The odds that someone in my small group might be high risk or someone in their family is a high risk, makes this a difficult situation for sure.

The media has suggested a vaccination card will be issued to the recipients. That is all well and good, but we all know how easy it is to make a counterfeit ID. If it becomes a requirement to go back to work, but not a mandate by the government, how many people will find ways to lie about receiving the vaccine to stay employed. Under the current circumstance, I would say 100% of them. It could be put on our drivers' license or passport, except some people, have neither and will not plan to get one in the next few months.

Some people have insurance cards, if the government was to request the insurance company to add this piece of information onto our cards it could be beneficial. However, the insurance companies are not responsible for providing the vaccine to their insured. In most news articles the vaccines for the public will be available in the local CVS and Walgreens, along with a primary care physician.

So, my question is like the flu shots that are offered at most local pharmacies, will the retailers be willing to offer a rebate of a substantial amount to encourage people to come in and be vaccinated? Besides, there is still a very large population of citizens without health insurance. Unlike most other countries that provide health care and can track their vaccinations, we must rely on the honesty of our fellow man. Seems to me we are screwed.

The Orlando Sentinel Sunday edition printed an an opinion article, "Public trust in COVID-19 vaccine a headache for DeSantis, and a chance to build bridges." It is a true picture of our country's situation summed up in the dire predicament in the sunshine state. The challenge is going to be an uphill battle even if we witness people from the television, music, and movie industry, as well as the former presidents, get vaccinated.

Maybe in the early 2000s, we could have relied on the American people to do the right thing and take care of themselves and his neighbor. However, times have changed and the current divisions in our country might not ever heal from the wrath of an administration that leaned towards selfishness and the ideology of individualism.

It is hard enough to get people to wear a mask and stay 6 feet from their neighbor, how can we expect them to stick their arm out and let someone poke them with a drug that has the potential to cure a disease that is killing their fellow man. My faith in human nature is being tested daily as I sit in my one-bedroom apartment and live my life without human contact. I will be part of the mass that stands in a social distant line and get my vaccine as soon as it becomes available. I am not concerned about the side effects of this drug, because the option is more deadly than a day or two of discomfort.