How The Coronavirus Reminded Me To Be Careful What You Wish For

Everything we wish for is great — until it actually happens.

231

"I wish I didn't have to go to school"

"I wish work would close."

"I wish I could just have some free time."

These are all statements that leave our mouths far too often. That is, until these things we wished for suddenly happen, and we turn remorseful that we ever even desired them in the first place.

It's 2020 and life seems to keep getting busier for everyone. Each and every day there is more and more to keep up with. Whether it is classes or work, they more than likely consume most of your day. In addition, you may have a job which makes your agenda fuller than ever. As if that was not enough, now add on keeping up with a social life and hanging out with friends. Oh, and did I forget to mention keeping up with your social media if that is your forte? Sure, life is full of many demands, whether good or bad.

The burnout most of us feel can turn into us just wishing life could go on hold. It is far too often we deprive ourselves of simple human needs that we deserve. As a result of this, we frequently wish for life to just be put on hold for a while. No work would be nice, as well as no classes for a while. After all, you deserve a break, right?

Sure, it sounds great thinking about it in the moment.

Time to relax, focus on yourself, and not have to be asked things from your boss or professor. It seems like the perfect life you have dreamt of in your busy days at the office or sitting in class listening to a boring lecture.Everything is an impeccable idea in your mind.

That is until it actually happens.

Shamefully, I will be the first to admit that I am guilty of this. School has been a lot and nothing seemed more perfect then some time away. When the outbreak of the virus first began, the words "Our school better close," fell off my lips without even giving it a second thought. When I received the phone call that school would be closing, it felt good in the moment. Unfortunately, minutes later I began to even regret ever wanting school to close in the first place.

After just a day of being at home, I was regretful and distressed with my wish.

I missed seeing my friends, teachers, and even the annoying people from my school. I never expected school closing for a few weeks to potentially turn into not going to school for the remainder of the year.

If this long quarantine and social isolation teaches us anything (gosh, hopefully, it does), we should realize that if we wish for things, we should actually think of the outcome. I know that I haven't been the only one saddened by the closings of school. My social media pages have been flooded with posts saying how bored everyone is and that they wish they could go back to school.

Some have even gone as far as saying they will never complain about school again.

There are so many things we take for granted each and every day. Yes, life can get busy. If it gets busy, we have to leave time for ourselves. We can't just instantly resort to wanting life to be put on hold when life gets busy.

If this quarantine ends soon, which hopefully it does (we have to stay positive), then I have definitely learned a lesson. Never wish for something unless you actually think out the results of that wish. Don't take life for granted. The coronavirus has shown us that life as we know it can slip through our fingers in the blink of an eye. Don't take anything for granted. I wish I would've hugged my friends a little bit harder and longer knowing I may not see them in weeks, possibly months at the rate we are going.

Stay positive and healthy. Stay informed, but don't get sucked into the sensationalizing the media has been doing.

I'm sending good vibes and health your way!