Coronavirus in Arizona is Going in the Wrong Direction

Cases in the Grand Canyon State has tripled over the last few weeks, and hospitals are almost at capacity.

4

COVID-19 has taken the world by storm. It has shut down governments, businesses and changed everyday life. We hadn't really felt the effects of coronavirus in Arizona until about a month ago. We were averaging around 300-600 cases a day before Governor Doug Ducey reopened our state. Since reopening daily cases have surged to around 1,000-3,000.

Arizona was one of the last states to shut down, and of the first to reopen. Several are pointing to this as the cause of cases spiking. Hospitals are now at around 85% capacity, and crisis care has been implemented in some of them. What is crisis care? It's basically when doctors don't have enough resources to take care of everyone, so they prioritize those that will live longer over those who are older. For example, a 26-year-old would get care first over someone who is 75 and has other health issues. This happened in Italy back when the pandemic was worsening there and several were shocked to see it being implemented, but now it's happening here.

Arizona is seeing higher rates of infection than entire countries. Governor Ducey recently shut down bars, tubing and gyms in order to curb the spread of the virus. Long testing lines were seen all over the state and some waited 13 hours in Maryvale. Arizona is not heading in the right direction and is one of the nation's new hot spots.