Conventional Vs. Organic Tampons: Why You Should Switch Today

Tampons as organic as your Whole Foods produce.

78
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/11/21/6364687514364112321517169552_samuel-zeller-413072.jpg

In the age of cold-pressed juices and açaí bowls, we spend quite a bit of time understanding the correlation between what we eat and how it impacts our bodies. Unfortunately, what is not discussed is the various other factors that can effect our health. As we are mindful of what we consume by eating, we need to also be conscious of the other things we put in contact with our bodies.

For women, this is tampons.

There is very little conversation around what tampons are made up of and the health concerns that come along with them. Many of the mainstream brands on the shelf are chalk full of fragrances, polyester, dyes, and synthetic material. The ingredients put in these tampons stay behind long after they leave our bodies.

Most tampons are bleached with chlorine. Yup, chlorine, and your body has no other choice but to soak it up. Chlorine leads to a toxic byproduct called dioxin, which can lead to cancer as it is a known carcinogen.

Not only is chlorine a concern, but a great deal of the world's pesticides is sprayed on cotton (the key ingredient). These pesticides can lead to infertility and hormonal imbalance. Although so small, even the cord of your tampon, if dyed, is jam packed with toxic heavy metals.

Tampons are not only harmful to us as women, but have devastating effects on our environment. As we toss them away to be disposed, the same harmful ingredients I mentioned before, go on to permeate the environment. Just as they negatively effect our bodies, they have the same effect on our earth.

Continuing to think about our environment, we have always been encouraged to recycle. Despite what we know about recycling, tampons are an item that we should shy away from when labeled as "recycled". Recycled cotton still runs the risk of being filled with harmful chemicals. They are not normally recycled from organic cotton, and there is no sure way to find out where the ingredients come from.

What Now?

Thankfully as much as there are harmful products on the shelf, there are also an abundance of companies that are making products for our lady parts that are filled with safe and environmentally friendly ingredients.

When choosing a brand, you want to ensure that it lists that they are using certified organic cotton. In doing so, you eliminate the risk of exposure to residues from fertilizers, defoliants, fungicides, and chemical pesticides normally used on conventionally grown cotton.

Brands like Cora and LOLA are filled with all the good stuff. These brands even have subscriptions, so that you can have your customized box mailed directly to your door.

Being kind to our bodies is important. As this is not an easy conversation for many, it is essential that we educate ourselves and others about what we put into our bodies during our periods.