A Continuum Contagion

A Continuum Contagion

The power of wanderlust; why some people are born with the desire to travel.

2
A Continuum Contagion

There are two extremely different people in this world. There are those who happily do the same thing day to day and from month to month, never quite finding the inspiration to go beyond their comfort zone. These people enjoy structure and carrying out a predictable lifestyle. Then there are those who continually think of the unknown and thrive off of adventure. These people wonder always and wander often in any direction of their choosing. This differentiation of people is dependent on their values, beliefs and background. It’s crazy to think that there actually may be a correlation between loving to travel and actually being born with DNA gene that entices one to travel.

Personally, I think that each person has the natural desire to travel, but only certain people will capitalize on their never ending desire. For those people that perform a scheduled way of life are, they are completely turned off by the idea of spontaneity. In their mind, traveling takes weeks of economic planning and mental preparation for expected jetlag. On the one hand, impromptu travel sparks fear; for others it jump-starts passion and unimaginable excitement.

One reason I believe that people obsess over traveling is to undergo a cultural transformation. Without travel, you will never get to experience the food, clothing and tourist attractions that each country has to offer. Certain people get an adrenaline rush with the inevitable confusion that comes with being in a distant country with having a very small conception of the native language and normal behavior. Supporting the love of travel, one of the many things that college provides students with is the ability to travel and study abroad. If taken, this opportunity can establish a foundation for a love of travel at such an early stage in life. This passion for travel is what powers one to find foreign work or to find an occupation where traveling is the norm. For example: Teaching internationally or volunteering in the peace corp. Both opportunities grant you with life long memories and unforgettable experiences.

In today’s society there is so much emphasis on the idea of finding yourself, understanding your morals and creating connections all around the world. This significance of being yourself is rooted directly in traveling. Augustine of Hippo states, “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” Just within this quote, it expresses that people should engage in travel to explore the world and to experience distance beyond belief. I am certainly not one to book a flight across the world on a whim, but I desperately want to catch the wanderlust contagion- sooner rather than later.