Why I Will Continue to March

Why I Will Continue to March

#IMarch to give courage to those who are afraid to stand up for what they believe in.

23
Why I Will Continue to March
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Politics/RT-womens-march-washinton-7-jt-170121_12x5_1600.jpg

On Saturday, January 21, 2017, I marched alongside one of my best friends and millions of other diverse people worldwide to spread the message that Women’s Rights are Human Rights and Human Rights are Women’s Rights. I have always been passionately outspoken about the things that I believe in, and I’m pleased to have discovered millions of people who are passionate enough to march in solidarity with me. After being directly involved in such a profound, historic event, that little spark inside of me has turned into a raging fire. For those of you who think this revolution is about Donald Trump, you’re giving him entirely too much credit. This revolution is about so much more than one man, or one political party; it’s about equality and choosing to do what is right for humankind.

These are some of the most important reasons I chose to march, and will continue to march:

I will continue to march because I am outraged that important issues are pushed aside, ignored, or not taken seriously: reproductive rights, LGBTQIA+ rights, worker’s rights, disability rights, and environmental justice. I will march until everyone acknowledges the importance of these issues.

I will continue to march in solidarity with other people in order to protect our rights, safety, and health.

I will continue to march until people embrace others for their differences, instead of attacking them.

I will continue to march to prove that “my femininity does not diminish me” (Mindy Gorin).

I will continue to march to help people understand that being Pro-Woman does not mean Anti-Man.

I will continue to march because as a survivor of sexual assault, I refuse to have women be seen as sex objects or property of men.

I will continue to march until men and women are equally disturbed and disgusted by so called “locker room talk” and understand the further implications of justifying such language.

I will continue to march until men stop telling me “you should smile more, it looks better” as if I am defined by their idea of beauty.

I will continue to march until I am sure that the doors of Planned Parenthood will stay open, so that they can continue providing women and their families with necessary services.

I will continue to march until the LGBTQIA+ community is free of stigma and can embrace their human rights without being stereotyped, or forced to conform to society’s expectations of sex and gender.

I will continue to march to end gender roles and gender expectations, permanently.

I will continue to march so people can proudly be who they are, without being dehumanized by society, or fearful for their lives.

I will continue to march because "ALL LIVES MATTER."

I will continue to march until we start actively changing the way we treat our planet, and accept that global warming is not a hoax.

I will continue to march until everyone feels safe and secure in this country, regardless of their race or religion.

I will continue to march because xenophobia should not be tolerated.

I will continue to march to prove that we, as diverse groups of people who seek equality, cannot be silenced, and refuse to be ignored.

I will continue to march because I am no longer comfortable accepting the things I cannot change. I now seek to change the things that I cannot accept.

I will continue to march so that one day I will be comfortable and proud to raise children in this country.

I will continue to march to give courage to those people who are afraid to stand up for what they believe in. And I will march alongside them when they finally choose to join me.

It’s time to join the revolution. Your silence will no longer protect you.