Your Confidence Will Soar If You Adopt These 15 Habits

Everyone has insecurities, don't let them rule you

787
Photo by Dino Reichmuth on Unsplash

It is just easier to live life when you are confident. Being insecure takes so much energy that could be spent doing something productive, like actually getting something to eat alone rather than waiting around for someone to go with you.

Not to mention, we all know that confidence makes everyone more attractive. Now if you are not super confident, don't worry, that does not mean you are automatically ugly, there is just something alluring about a confident person.

Now, I am no model for confidence, but there are a few things that I am trying to do or have done that helps exponentially. If you struggle with confidence these few things can help boost you in the right direction, and you will be rocking your world in no time!

1. Chin/Head up

If you keep your chin up and head out, it shows that you are comfortable with who you are and you aren't afraid for people to see your face. Most confidence radiates from the face and if you hide your face it is easy to assume that you are uncomfortable in your own skin, WHICH YOU SHOULDN'T BE!

2. Make purposeful hand movements

I am definitely guilty of this one ALL THE TIME... but if you have constant flourishing hand movements, people may think you don't know what you are talking about or are not confident in what you are saying.

But if you have precise and concise hand movements there are fewer distractions from what you are saying and people believe and want to hear what you have to say!

3. Eye contact

Eyes are the place of vulnerability as they are known as the windows to the soul, and looking straight at someone directly in the eyes shows that you have nothing to hide. You have accepted everything about yourself and are not afraid if people can see it. It takes time I know, but I think this one is most important!

4. Actually, listen to other people

The one way to sound confident is to listen to what others are actually saying so in turn you can reply with something substantial and you don't have to sit there in awkward silence.

Even if you don't really know what to say if you listen, you can at least make something up!

5. Stand up straight

One of the main insecurities among teenagers, young adults (and even some full-grown adults) is their body. We don't know how to hold ourselves, and we think we look awkward just by standing there and we second guess every movement.

Tall people have it bad because they feel TOO tall and slouch to cover up their height, but good posture oozes confidence. ROck your body cause no one actually cares what you look like if you love yourself!

6. Try not to think about other people

Insecurities are born from us obsessing over what other people think about us, which is ridiculous. Over 75% percent of individuals we encounter in our lives we only see ONCE, so who cares what they think??

This can start with you not judging other people. I know this isn't particularly easy either, but if you practice with intention, soon you won't even notice other people and you will stop comparing yourself to others!

7. Hygiene

I feel like this one is pretty self-explanatory; If you feel pretty and clean then it makes it so much easier to be comfortable with yourself. Anyway, people don't really like to be around someone who smells, so don't be that person.

8. Exercise

I really am not the model for success here, but I do notice that when I go to the gym I just feel better, mentally and physically. Even if you can't see results, the endorphins released during a workout reduce stress and just help you feel happier with yourself!

So even if you just go every once and a while (like me) it will improve your confidence energy exponentially.

9. Mirror the other person

When talking to other people, it is proven that if you mirror their actions and laughs, they will feel more comfortable around you, and nothing can put you more at ease and confident than everyone else liking you!

Obviously still be yourself, but a laugh here and then, even if you don't think what they are saying is funny, goes a long way!

10. Smile

I don't know about you, but I am always more inclined to be around people who smile a lot. Sometimes it can get creepy, yes, but smiles are associated with positivity and happiness. No one wants to hang around a negative Nelly. So smile more, you will appear more approachable and your confidence will soar!

11. Dress the way you want to dress

If you love what you are wearing and you are comfortable, it is a reflection of how comfortable you are in your skin, because really clothes are just a second skin.

This can go along with not caring about what other people think. Don't dress to follow trends or impress anyone, if you want to wear a crown and cape that will definitely show confidence.

12. Don't cross your arms

If you cross your arms it signifies to others a very closed off and stand-offish personality. If you keep your arms uncrossed your body language is much more inviting. Also, people who cross their arms a lot are generally more unhappy with life in general, which is no way to live.

Not to mention this also helps with bettering your posture!

13. Don't fidget

Fidgeting is the biggest give away of insecurities. JUST SIT STILL (or stand still whatever). I can assure you that no one notices how you stand or sit, and fidgeting will only draw more attention to it, so just stop moving.

When someone fidgets, it rubs off and then others feel uncomfortable for you. Keep your hands to your side and stand still, with direct eye contact, does that not scream confidence?

14. Keep your hands out of your pockets

If you constantly have your hands in your pockets, it reflects that you have something to hide. Obviously, we don't want everyone to know our deepest, darkest secrets, but you want to exhibit confidence so people feel open to maybe being close enough to one day hear those secrets.

15. Try to avoid "um", "uh" and "like"

Confidence comes from believing in what you say and being strong with the statements you make, but if you say "um" after every two words, no one is going to take you seriously. Try to think before you speak, that way you won't include those filler words and people will again want to hear what you have to say and believe in your confidence.