Confessions Of A Summer Nanny

Confessions Of A Summer Nanny

It is a lot harder than you think.

76
Confessions Of A Summer Nanny
Marcy Bernabei

I am sitting here on my Friday evening watching a bunch of little children run around with giant smiles on their face without a care in the world. It is summer vacation, and they could not be happier. I follow them around the house, making sure they are safe, but not fighting and cleaning up after every little mess they make. No. I am not their mom, I am a summer nanny and my summer would not be complete without them. Most people think that being a nanny means spending your days at the pool watching over children, but it is much more than that. It is quite possibly the best, hardest and most rewarding job I have had this far in my life.

It's not easy.

When people ask me what my job is, I tell them that I am a nanny. Some applaud and say they could never do that, but a vast majority roll their eyes and say a smug comment on how easy life must be for me. I am not complaining, but it is a very tough job. My day with the kids usually starts at 7 AM and is not over until 6:30 PM. The days are never predictable. They could be starting off one day at the pool then, by the end of the day, wind up on the other side of the state for a soccer game. Throughout the day comes many moods, and many attitudes. When one child is happy, the other is upset. It is a constant balancing act. No, I do not just turn on Frozen and everything is magically okay. Yes, I have those days were nothing can go right and having a movie day seems to smooth everything over, but if I did that every day, I would not have my job. But I'm also taking care of someone’s whole world. These parents are trusting me with their kids’ lives, which I believe is the highest amount of trust anyone can give you and once you've lost that, it is almost impossible to get back.

But it is super rewarding.

This job is so rewarding because you are making an impact on their lives. I have been watching the same kids for the past three years, and you grow to be a part of their family. They get so excited to see you after a long time apart. My nanny kids have my phone number and they text me out of the blue, and it really can make your day so much better. Not only are you making an impact on them, but they are making an impact on you. They teach you so many things; like how to love a rolly polly, or how to play monkey on the ground. They teach you how to love one another, even when they make you really angry. They have also helped me realize not to sweat the small stuff. In one day they will fight about a toy, learn to share, and never look back. Children also have no filter, so they say what is on their mind. Usually it's really nice things like, "you look pretty," but sometimes they say “hey that dress makes you look fat.” It helps you build a tough skin, and learn not to take things so personally. After all, they are only six years old.

I am not ready for kids.

Being a nanny is so much fun, and I love watching the kids, but once 6:45 rolls around I am able to go home and not worry too much about them until the next day. I can unwind in my room without hearing yelling or having to watch a children’s show. I get to go home at the end of the day and have time to go out with my friends. Hanging out with kids is fun and all, but I think I will just stick to nannying for now.