Confessions Of A Millennial Shopaholic

Confessions Of A Millennial Shopaholic

Rain drop, drop top, I can't help myself, I like to shop, shop, shop.

27
Confessions Of A Millennial Shopaholic
ClaytonWhitesHotel

I'm a shopaholic, there I said it. I've finally admitted it to myself and the world. I've known for a while that I like to buy things and most of the time they're not necessarily things that I need, I just see them, want them and have to have them.

That sounds a bit self indulgent yes, but why should I work hard for my money and not be able to spend it how I like? – "I make my own money so I spend it how I like," Rae Sremmurd – Why can't I pamper myself when I want to? And buy things from Amazon whenever the mood strikes? This is why my generation gets the unfortunate label of being materialistic and certainly admitting that I buy the things I want aren't helping our case but this is how I see it, I could be asking my parents to buy me the things that I want instead of working hard to get what I want for myself.

Just because I like to buy things doesn't mean I don't know how to save and it also doesn't mean that I don't save more than I spend, it just seems that way and most especially to my parents – mainly my dad, who just doesn't get it, – who are always opening the door to the sight of another package from Amazon, or Groupon or any other place I went online for a shopping spree.

Last month I went to my parent's house after having the bright idea of freezing my credit and debit cards, only leaving one card for emergencies, – remember that scene in the movie "Shopaholic?" That's where I got the inspiration from. My mom started asking me about whether or not freezing my cards would ruin them in the long run, which I replied with a resounding no but still being unsure I decided that all I needed was some self control. Now here I sit in the same house where I had spoken those same words a month before, a few hours after opening my latest Amazon package with two GoPros – I had only meant to purchase one – and a box filled with other electronic devices and their accessories.

If I had gotten my way last month and been able to freeze my cards would I still end up in the same position I'm in now? The answer to that question should be a vehement shake of the head but truth be told I probably would have found some way to purchase the items I deemed a necessity one way or another. When one goes parasailing on vacation for Spring Break there has to be some documentation of it after all or did it really happen?

Rain drop, drop top,

I can't help myself,

I like to shop, shop, shop.

(Because I had to).