Confessions Of A 'Bachelor' Addict

Confessions Of A 'Bachelor' Addict

Bachelor Nation, assemble.

30
Confessions Of A 'Bachelor' Addict
DesireeHartsock.com

My Monday nights are reserved for one thing and one thing only — ABC’s "The Bachelor." I am not afraid to admit that I am one of many obsessed with the Bachelor. Every week, I look forward to the tear-filled rose ceremonies, the romantic dates, and the drunken cat fights between the crazed Bachelor contestants. There have been 23 seasons of "The Bachelor" and the Bachelor's spin-off, "The Bachelorette," and I am not ashamed to admit I have watched over half of them. It is my guilty pleasure and I just can’t seem to get enough of it.

The Bachelor is a reality show in which 25 women compete for a rose that secures their spot on the show for another round, where they ultimately seek the attention and heart of one generally attractive male, The Bachelor. The contestants move into the beautiful Bachelor mansion, and go on one-on-one and group dates for a chance to fall in love and find their “soul mate.” Every week there is a rose ceremony in which the Bachelor eliminates women he doesn’t feel a connection with. The remaining contestants fly to exotic locations and go on luxurious dates. In the dramatic season finale, the Bachelor picks the woman he wants to be with, and ultimately, proposes to her.

Every season, I seem to fall for Chris Harrison’s promise of “the most dramatic season ever.” Every single time. I continuously get sucked into the suspense and romance of the show. Although 19 seasons of "The Bachelor" and 11 seasons of "The Bachelorette" have ended mainly with no love connection, for some reason I still continue to watch it every year. So why am I so addicted to this show? Why do I continue to tune in every Monday and get sucked into the ridiculousness of this show? Why do I care about the fate of forced romances that I know won't last for more than a few months? I have a few theories about why I am so addicted to this beautifully-edited reality show ...

1. I can't get enough of the drama.

The drama of "The Bachelor" is better than any reality TV drama. I mean 25 women dating the same man and all living under one roof — what could possibly go wrong? All across America, "Bachelor Nation” tunes in to watch as contestants consume too much alcohol, partake in dramatic cat fights and make complete fools of themselves. Among numerous verbal and physical attacks between contestants, the season also presents a series of shocking twists and secrets revealed. For example, on Harrison's season of "The Bachelor," front-runner contestant Jade admitted that she posed naked for playboy. There is something about watching drama occur in other people's lives that is so entertaining. I enjoy the heated arguments between the contestants and the man who they claim to be their “future soul mate,” even though they’ve only known him for approximately six weeks. The show helps me channel my inner drama queen, and I find humor in the crazy women of "The Bachelor."

2. Chris Harrison.

Let’s be honest, every person in Bachelor Nation loves host Harrison. Throughout the season, Chris Harrison narrates the dramatic love story between the Bachelor and his contestants and repeatedly spews off cheesy superlatives. He hosts every Bachelor related show, including the dramatic live after shows. He has been with us since the very beginning and has never let us down. Throughout the seasons, he surprises Bachelor Nation with shocking new twists and dirty gossip. He is known for kicking off contestants who are there for the wrong reasons and calling out Bachelors who he doesn’t agree with. He also is known for having bachelor and bachelorette's backs. When Bachelorette Kaitlyn was being bullied on social media about her decisions as Bachelorette, Harrison made it a point to talk about it during the after show of the finale. He stood up for Kaitlyn and emphasized the importance of stopping cyberbullying. I mean — how can you not love Harrison? I think we all look forward to our weekly dates with Harrison.

3. Hot people everywhere.

The contestants of "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" are always insanely attractive ... from handsome pilots to personal trainers to wine specialists. The show gives Bachelor Nation the opportunity to ogle the attractiveness of the beautiful contestants. I just love to watch the gorgeous men and women in their glamorous gowns and clean cut outfits line up to receive their roses.

4. I can travel the world without leaving my couch.

"The Bachelor" gives me a chance to virtually travel the world. Every week, contestants jet-set off to some of the coolest places in the world, including Switzerland, Thailand, New Mexico and Belize. Accommodations are always top notch and the views are stunning. The dates are nothing short of spectacular — a private concert from The Cranberries, wine tastings at the best wineries in the country, fancy dinners on deserted Tahitian islands and the opportunity to climb to the top of the Golden Gate Bridge. I travel vicariously through "The Bachelor" and love watching the romantic helicopter rides, fancy dinners, and hot air balloon trips during a beautiful sunset.

5. It’s emotional.

Without a doubt, "The Bachelor" is one of the most emotional shows on television. With 25 women all fighting for the same man, there's bound to be a few tears. Whether it's from an unlucky contestant sobbing in the back of the limo and pouring out her heart to the camera, or from those comical attention-seeking contestants gossiping on the patio. There are always touching, tearjerker moments, whether its confessions from a single parent who left home to find love or a monologue about someone’s heartbreak-ridden past.

6. The show keeps you wanting more.

Harrison and the rest of Bachelor producers have a way of keeping the audience on their toes. Some episodes leave us with juicy cliffhangers while other episodes leave us feeling anxious. Either way, we always want to know more — how will the season pan out? Will "The Bachelor" find love? Who will he choose? Will he choose nobody? The suspense of not knowing what's going to happen and who is going to get their heart broken next is a thrill.

6. I’m glad it’s not me.

Every week, Bachelor Nation watches as contestants desperately compete for one man's attention and have a mental breakdown when they don't succeed. As awful as it sounds, I can't help but think, "Thank God that's not me." I watch as wannabe rose winners strip themselves out of every last shred of dignity, and can't help but think, "At least I'm not desperate enough to do that." Don't get me wrong — some of the contestants are real, good-hearted people, but others are completely crazy. Some contestants do everything they can to get the bachelor's attention, and sometimes they completely humiliate themselves. It makes me feel a teeny bit better that no matter what my real life dating situation is, I don't have to choose to compete with 20 other women in front of millions of viewers for one person's love and approval.

7. The show fulfills my girly desires for all things happy and romantic.

Lastly, "The Bachelor" fulfills my girly desires for all things happy and romantic. Each episode is filled with affection, emotions, and insecurities. It is almost like a fairytale of sorts, even if it is edited. The show is an epic love story that is depicted in an exotic, romantic setting. Throughout the show, we watch the Bachelor take the women on spectacular dates, shower them with luxurious gifts and meals, and bring them to the most beautiful places in the world. For some strange reason, watching others go on romantic dates and fall in love makes me happy. I find joy in rooting for the contestants I want to win. Most of all, I love watching the romantic proposals in the season finale. Watching the season finale of the Bachelor is like watching the Notebook. It is heartwarming and it also gives me hope that this, too, could happen to me someday. Although the show is edited, it still gives me hope that true love exists.

There have been 23 seasons of "The Bachelor" franchise, and yet I am still in true, everlasting love with it. Maybe my obsession with "The Bachelor" is ridiculously unhealthy, but I can't help it — I will always be a loyal and dedicated member of Bachelor Nation. I think the rest of Bachelor nation can agree that if loving "The Bachelor" is wrong, then we don’t want to be right.