Confessions of A Member of the "Campus Cult"

My experiences in the ministry Campus Crusades for Christ.

2534
CRU

Being a Christian on a College Campus is a very interesting experience. There is nothing more exciting than figuring out that the person sitting next to you in your Agriculture Economics class is also a Christian. And the best feeling is walking by a group of students studying their bible together. Also, your heart breaks to see the immense lostness that surrounds your campus. And on top of this, you also want to fit in.

No one wants to look like the reformed and religious Annelle (from Steel Magnolias) that has to pray at the drop of a pin. Or the near cult homeschooler that learned to read from copying bible passages. You want to appear as a normal, twenty first century teenager that has a few extra connections.

But this can be mighty hard when one of the best college campus ministries is know as the "Campus Cult". What Christian in their right mind would want to be labeled as a member of the cult?

Well, I was a member this past year, and although I may have had "Jesus Freak" tattooed across my forehead, I don't regret it for a minute.

Here are my reasons why CRU was my absolute favorite organization to join this year.

1. Time to Refocus and Re-center

Let's face it, college is crazy, and all it takes is a few minutes for your priorities begin to be massively obscured. A looming organic chemistry test can really skew our view of reality. The large group meetings that Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) offer allow me time to refocus on Christ. I can fix my priorities and regain a better perspective. Like the hymn says, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus/look full in His wonderful face/and all the things of Earth will grow strangely dim".

2. Getting Spiritually Fed

I remember the very first large group meeting I attended. It was as if God had turned my soul inside out, shaken out the dust, washed and dried it. I hardly ever leave that time without having met God in that place. And in the mess of my life, it is such a blessing to have an hour and a half dedicated each week to seeing God and being fed.

3. The People I Have Met

One friend explained it to me this way, "there is like a chemistry that occurs when you talk with other Christians." And she is so right. There is nothing like sitting around a cup of coffee and laughing, crying and talking about the way God is moving in our lives. CRU has allowed me to meet so many other sweet girls and guys that encourage and hold me accountable.

4. Worshiping With The Entire Campus

It is easy to feel like you are alone--as if you are the only Christian on campus that isn't getting wasted and laid on a Friday night. But in that room full of at least 100 people from your campus, you realize that you are not alone. Here is a huge group of people who are seeking God just like you are. And not only are you not alone, but in that moment you are joining each of them in worship. And that, is a very sweet and empowering feeling.

5. New Songs I Have Learned

Now take this one with a grain of salt. The very first meeting I attended, the music may have shocked this Baptist girl just a bit. And the music is a little more contemporary than some people would like. But over the course of the year, some of the songs I learned there have really ministered to my heart, and I learned to allow the music to minister to my heart in different ways. Some of the songs that I learned include He Won't Relent, It Is Well and All I Have Is Christ.

CRU is not the only campus ministry that is available, and I would encourage everyone to find at least one ministry that feeds and encourages them. But I do believe that CRU has an amazing impact on college campuses here and around the world. So even if you risk being labeled as a member of the "cult", CRU is worth the try.