Confessions From A White Girl

Confessions From A White Girl

A reaction to the recent race problems.

391
Confessions From A White Girl
Seattlepi

In light of recent events, I thought an article regarding race was appropriate. Race is a tricky subject for all people to discuss, but especially for someone like me. As a white girl growing up in a middle-upper class small town, I have never had to face any racial prejudice or insults regarding my skin color. I cannot even begin to comprehend how difficult life must be for people who have to deal with negative comments about things they can’t control, such as the color of their skin or where they come from.

I hesitated even writing this article because I don’t want to offend anyone accidentally. I don’t want to appear to know more than the average person, because I certainly do not. I have the same access to information that everyone else does. I do not have any specific insights into the injustice of the recent murders. I can’t empathize with black people who are fighting these problems because I don’t know what it is like to be faced with the issues.

I also don’t want to dismiss the killings of the police officers in the protests in Texas because all life should be valued. I do not think fighting violence with violence is the right solution, as Martin Luther King Jr. advocated. Killing those officers does not help fix anything. It just sparks more anger and controversy.

However, in spite of all these restrictions, I’m going to try to make a case: all lives do matter, so we need to start acting like it. The #blacklivesmatter movement is essential to helping the US realize that all lives are not equal right now in this country. People are still being treated as inferiors because of the color of their skin, which is absolutely absurd. Am I to be blamed for my skin color because my Italian and French Canadian ancestors decided to move to the US? I am an effect of their choice to live here. African American ancestors were actually dragged here in slave ships and in chains to do the biddings of white folk. Other black ancestors came because they believed in the American Dream and that corrupt governments and civil wars in their country could be avoided in this New World. They now have to face racism and hatred from those more powerful. What about that is American?

The United States of America was born from a dream of equality. People realized that they should not be controlled by anyone but themselves, that all men are created equal and that men should treat each other that way. Unfortunately, the Founding Fathers did not understand that they were excluding a huge part of the population who needed human rights most of all. A few centuries later, the beloved Martin Luther King Jr. fueled the Civil Rights Movement and put new thoughts in the minds of all Americans about equality and fairness. He could not live to see his dream fully realized. If he wasn't assassinated, he would be 87, and probably still advocating for black rights at the top of his lungs because the mission is still not over.

The US population is comprised of a complex mixture of races. There is no ‘American race.’ White people are German, English, Scottish, Irish, French, Italian, etc. Black people are Ethiopian, Kenyan, South African, Libyan, Somalian, etc. Asians are Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Cambodian, etc. Nothing in the US is original because everyone came from different places, unless you identify as Native American. Therefore, the people who feel they are the superior race and that African Americans are below them need to get off their high horses. We all belong here. Black people have the same right to be here as white people. The #blacklivesmatter movement is an attempt to make everyone see that fact.

Police officers acting extremely hostile towards people because of their skin color is a racist act that needs to be stopped. Policemen are valued as individuals who will protect and serve those around them. How is killing people protecting or serving? Unless they had proof, inescapable facts, that the person before them will harm others, they had no right to do anything other than issue a warning or bring them before a jury who will decide if the supposed crime is worth any punishment. What proof did the officers have that Philando Castile was a dangerous man? What was Alton Sterling doing that justified being shot while two officers held him down? Those officers acted as judge, jury and executioner. They acted like corrupt officials in countries we condemn for their brutal actions towards their citizens. How can we claim to be better than places with dictatorships if incidents like this continue to happen?

I don’t know a solution to these problems. I’m sure there won’t be an answer any time soon, either. Increasing awareness, however, is the first step, and everyone needs to be aware of unjust actions. You can find good people everywhere, whether you look in a black community or a police station. They are not exclusive in this movement by any means, but being active in your own community can make all the difference in the world. If you hear someone abusing another because of their race, speak up about it. Defend people who can’t defend themselves for fear of appearing hostile. Allow police officers to still do their job, because they can make people safer, but make it clear that your community will not tolerate abusing power.

A united nation can do wonders, as we have proved in the past. We have made many mistakes along the way, but let’s try to bring back our main goal: all people are created equal. Live by that phrase. Let every action speak for you. Once everyone realizes the fundamental truth that all humans should be treated equally, we may have peace in this country… Maybe even the world.