Confessions From A Perpetually Single Girl

Hard truths from the friend in your group who is literally always single.

29
Huffington Post

We all have that one friend that is the perpetually single friend. The one that is the constant third wheel, the one that gives all the relationship advice, etc. Well, that friend is me. Hi, my name is Claudia, and I am a perpetually single friend, nice to meet you! Here are some things you may not know your perpetually single friend feels:

1. What ever happened to alone time?

Yes, I do love you and I love your significant other (SO) , but I don’t love hanging out with both of you together all the time. You are my friend and I would love to hang out with just you, nothing against your SO, I just don’t want to be the designated third wheel, as well. Sometimes, one-on-one time is all I need.

2. Why am I the relationship advice guru?

Yes, I know you think it’s ironic that the friend who is literally always single is the first one to dish out the relationship advice, but do you know why? It’s because I feel that sometimes maybe what you need is an outside opinion, a view from someone who isn’t in your situation and, therefore, won’t have any bias. Feel free not to take my advice, it could always turn out to be horrible, but I’m just looking out for you in the best way I can.

3. Please, stop setting me up with people.

Please don’t try to set me up with someone unless I specifically ask because otherwise, that’s gonna be an awkward date. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful that you care so much, I just want to find my own person on my own terms and at my own pace.

4. No, I don’t need a constant reminder.

I can take a joke now and then, hell I even joke about always being single. But, I don’t need it to be the butt of every single joke or statement about me. I’m other things too besides single! And, if your friend isn’t single by personal choice, like me, I don't think they love being constantly reminded of it.