Concert Review: The Summer Set In Iowa City, Iowa

The Made For You Tour got wild at the Blue Moose TapHouse.

26
Bryce Hall

When The Summer Set began touring off their fourth studio album "Stories for Monday" they made it known that during the writing process they considered terminating the band, but they rode out a few bumps in the road, released the album, and got back on the road. The Made For You Tour, their second big United States tour since releasing the album, was just one of the ways The Summer Set celebrated their newfound motivation for their band. The band ran polls to let fans dictate the fate of the tour--where they stopped and what songs they played--and called it the Made For You Tour. On October 26th, The Made For You Tour stopped at the Blue Moose TapHouse in Iowa City, Iowa.

Opening the event was Taylor Grey, a blonde bombshell with a powerful voice. From the second she walked on stage, her confidence grabbed the attention of everyone in the audience. Although the California girl had not gained much popularity among the midwest prior to this tour, she was sure to have gained some fans by the end of her set.

Up next in the lineup was Hudson Thames. Thames explained to the crowd that while he was performing solo for that particular show due to a family emergency affecting their drummer, they usually perform as a full band. While his looks alone seemed to grab the attention of every female in the room, when he began singing, there were murmurs of excitement from the audience members. From his jokes and interactions with the crowd to his captivating vocal styles, Hudson Thames knew how to work a room. His cover of the hit single "Unsteady" by the X Ambassadors took my breath away and could easily be described as the best version of the song I've heard to date.

Known for his vocalist position in the emo-anthem band The Academy Is..., soloist William Beckett followed. Supported by a clever intro playing on rapper Eminem's "My Name Is", Beckett's quirky personality provided a relaxing and humorous environment for the half hour preceding The Summer Set. Despite his easy-going attitude on stage and the popularity of William Beckett several years ago, it seemed as if not many people in the audience were aware of his music. The crowd didn't get involved until he performed an acoustic version of The Academy Is...'s "About A Girl". Audience members were still buzzing about Hudson Thames' prior performance, leaving Beckett's performance to be overshadowed by the new artist.

Closing out the night were headliners The Summer Set. The high energy of these touring veterans brought the venue to life. The 90s-esque pop songs made for a night full of dancing. Their set contained a nice balance between their classic jams such as "Chelsea" and "The Boys You Do", as well as favorites "Missin' You" and "All My Friends" from their most recent album. From the way the crowd danced and sang along, it was evident the tour really was made for the fans.