The Ultimate List Of Concert Do's And Dont's

Concert etiquette for any occasion.

988
Jon Stenz

After we attended our university's annual Springfest (a concert with mediocre artists), we learned a lot about what to do and, more importantly, what not to do at a concert. Whether you find yourself at an outdoor concert festival, a larger stadium setting, or a smaller general admission venue, these tips will serve you well.

Don’t: try to place yourself where someone is already standing

I am a human being. Just because you want to stand where I am standing, does not mean you can simply push me out of the way or say "excuse me" to trick me into moving. Please go find another foot and a half wide circle to stand in.

Do: accept the fact that sometimes you will not be able to see the stage

Since you cannot try to push people out of the way to get a better view of the stage, sometimes you will have to accept that you will not be able to see, especially if you are on the floor and at the same level as everyone else.

Don’t: stand on someone’s shoulders

Wow, do you see how cool that artist is? Oh wait, you can't see him. Why? Because that person is blocking the view by standing on someone's shoulders. Yes, sometimes you have to accept the fact that you will not be able to see the stage - but this blockage is unacceptable. Get off your friend's shoulders and come down to the level of everyone else, please and thank you!

Do: watch out for the creeps in the crowd

This advice is important for all the ladies out there. But more importantly: to the creeps out there, just stop.

Don’t: make your snap story the whole concert

If your friends wanted to see the full concert, they would have bought tickets. Adding a few pictures and videos of the concert to your snap story is acceptable — adding the entirety of the concert is most certainly not.

Do: take lots of pictures/videos

Even though you should not record the entire concert via snap story, feel free to use up all the storage on your phone!

Don’t: throw stuff in the air

Put simply, do not be TSwift. Throwing stuff in the air (water bottles, cans of soda, shirts, etc.) results in that same stuff coming back down to the ground, and more often than not hitting someone in the head. Someone could get seriously hurt, so resist, with all your might, the desire to throw a random object into the air during a concert.

Do: find the free food

This is one of the best pieces of advice we could give you. Follow it wisely.

Don’t: act like you know everything about the artist

... unless, of course, you do. Otherwise, resist the urge to let your trivia knowledge distract from the actual concert happening around you.

Do: pretend you know the lyrics

Singing along (or at least trying to) and dancing during a concert is what you are supposed to do, so embrace it! Even if you do not know every song, you can have an equally good time belting out the lyrics you do know as the person belting every lyric.

Don’t: wear flip flops

If you wear flip flops to a concert, expect a few broken toes.

Do: sing your heart out and dance like no one is watching

Enough said.