Community College, I love you

Community College, I love you

I have made memories that will last me at least three lifetimes. I have friends that I hope last just as long as our memories.

572
Community College, I love you
Del Sol Photography

When I was in high school and I first started thinking about college I was hell-bent on going anywhere BUT a community/junior college. I told myself it wasn't for me, I wasn't going to be that girl who went to a community college. I wanted the right college experience right off the bat. I wanted have the college experience I always saw on tv and read in books, things I thought community colleges didn't offer. I told my parents I wasn't going, I was so against it I even settled on a college that I didn't even want to attend every time I went to visit it I had to make myself pretend to enjoy it. I was so stubborn I was going to force myself four years of unhappiness just to attend a university instead of juco.

Then all of my plans fell through, and I found myself sitting at my kitchen table with my mom, the end of March of my senior year trying to decided what community college I was going to attend in the fall. I made a table comparing every community college in the state of Mississippi that I would be interested in, compared their cost distance from my house and my best friends, I compared their residence hall rules, I compared what each town had to offer I mean I compared every single little thing you can think of. Then, I decided on a college. I scheduled a campus tour, I went to orientation, I interviewed and made their student ambassador team, known as the Reflections Team. I met all of my team members that summer before and I just felt so loved, welcomed and at home. I knew when I went into my first day of college I already had 20+ friends both sophomores and freshmans.

Then the first day of school started, all the students were kind and caring. My professors were very personable, administration knew my name. I had never felt so at home in school until my first day of college. As the semester started to progress and I met more people some even became my favorite people I found myself growing closer to these people, we bonded over things like my Twizzlers jar, The Vampire Diaries, Siesta Key and classes we were taking together. Life looked so amazing it still does. I won't lie even at a community college I've had my fair share of highs and lows but I've built a foundation that stands still in stormy weather. I met my absolute best friends, friends I would have never met had I not attended community college. I got the chance to get my feet wet in college and see what it's really like not living with my parents. I found myself being so grateful that things worked out the way they did. I realized community colleges do offer some of the experiences I've seen on tv and read in books; but most importantly I started to have my own experience that no movie, show or book could amount to. I have found myself at the end of my two years of community college wishing they offered two more.

Community colleges offer so much more than you think, do not cross them off of your list just because you're stubborn like I was and don't want to be that person. Attending a community college is one of the best decisions I have EVER made in my life. I have made memories that will last me at least three lifetimes. I have friends that I hope last just as long as our memories. I went from Friday night lights, to Thursday night lights and let me tell you if you do it right with the right people it is an experience like no other. I attended a Community College and I feel like the experiences and people I have had and met have made me a better person. Don't be afraid to do what is best for you, fight against the current. I made a decision I was uncertain about at first that ended up being the best decision in my life, I made a choice and because of it everything has fallen into place.

Juco, I love you. I wish you weren't a junior college, thank you for all that you have given me. Friends, love, perspective, lessons, sadness, joy, laughter, happiness, security and most importantly, a home away from home. I am forever in debt to you.

#Hailperkforever