10 Common Misconceptions About Art Majors, Debunked

Written by an art major.

3459
Alison Lancelotti

"Oh, you're an art major? You've got it so easy! You must, like, have no homework at all."

As a studio art major myself, I hear people talk about how they assume we are supposed to act and how it must be so "easy" for us because all we do is draw and paint pretty pictures. In reality, being an art major is just as much work as any other, if not more so.

Here are 10 misconceptions about art majors that we're all seriously sick of hearing.

1. We do it because it's an easy A.

It's not.

Countless hours are spent working on each project that is assigned on top of the homework for other classes. Not only does a student have to write a twenty-five page paper for modern rhetoric, study for a test in environmental biology and finish all twelve pages of accounting homework; they are also expected to work on a pointillism piece in order to effectively appreciate the Neo-Impressionists of the 1800's like Georges Seurat. It can be overwhelming, to say the least.

2. We judge everything we see.

Generally, artists don't critique anything more than the average member of society. If there is a strange person running down the street with a bucket on their head yelling at the sky, we will also think they are odd. The majority of us won't look for 'a deeper meaning' in our daily life unless outwardly asked to do so.

3. We know everything about every artist ever.

Of course, on average, art majors take a history class to further explore the realm in which they choose to find themselves. This does not mean, however, that we know everything about everyone from the past or even the present day. Artists usually tend to remember others that inspire their works or create a lasting impression on their minds; because this is different for each artists, each person will remember who they want to remember. Just like anyone else.

4. We all have great fashion.

Just because we understand the color wheel doesn't mean we actually understand the color wheel.

We know that complimentary colors can create beautiful, vibrant paintings when slapped on a canvas, but sometimes we don't know that when we wear green and red together, we actually just look like Christmas...

5. We are snooty.

There may be a little bit of truth behind this misconception simply because it depends on the person, but the general population of artists come to be rather humble. The ones who are usually the most full of themselves are the art critics of the world. Shots fired.

6. All art majors can draw.

Absolutely not true. There are computers with specialized shapes for a reason and photoshop is a godsend.

7. We won't get a job after graduation

You're probably not wrong, but there are thousands of corporations that hire for concept art and graphic designs; advertisements and creating logos are always in demand for new businesses being created every year. Even NASA hires art majors to help visualize a future on Mars. Far out huh?

8. We all believe our art is the best.

Artists spend hours, days, and even years on a single project. After a while, I myself tend to point out all of the flaws of my work and learn to hate it. Needless to say, almost every person is trying to make themselves better and genuinely like others' works better than their own.

9. We are lazy.

We like naps just as much as anybody. Don't pretend you don't drag your feet sometimes too, especially after standing and staring at the same canvas, portrait or project; a person's eyes will tend to become bored and a break is necessary if you want to continue to be productive.

10. We want thousands of dollars for our work.

The main reason that some works of art come to be gobs of cash is because of the materials that were used to make it. An artist by the name of Damien Hirst once sold a skull for $100 million due to the fact that it was encrusted entirely with diamonds. If not for the diamonds, the piece would be worth much less, at least not one hundred million dollars.

Another reason could be the amount of work and time that an artist puts into each piece that they create, by taking years of their lives to finish one project, not only would the amount of detail be increased, but the better a piece will look and therefore, the more an artist is expecting for it.

In short, we really are nice people! Come say hey, and if we like you enough we might just make you some cool stuff.