Committing To A New Year's Resolution (No, seriously!)

2016 did ya dirty, but 2017 is here for revenge—play the game wisely.

11

The new year is coming up and there is no way of predicting what 2017 may have in store for us. Whether good or bad, the best way to prepare for the upcoming year is to create a New Year's resolution that will change your life for the better. I know, I know, these resolutions never seem to pan out the way we want. We hit the gym for a good week, then forget about it for the next couple of months. We give up chocolate for an hour and then, have chocolate for dinner with a chocolate milkshake on the side.Yes, the new year is dangerous, and sometimes, not life- changing at all. However, over the years, I have realized that the way to start a resolution is not to immediately change all your ways, but perhaps, build upon the old ways until they eventually become new. Change requires time and that's where most people go wrong when making the spontaneous decision to direct their life towards a certain resolution. So, give yourself the time you need and I promise your ways will improve and your dedication to complete a resolution will become nearly instinctual.

I'm not going to lie, 2016 did me dirrttyy, like "stomped on the ground and run over by a monster truck" dirty! But trust me, I am so willing to make some changes in my life that were desperately needed even before the year 2016. It took a while to realize that some huge differences had to be made, yet I also knew that these differences required a stepping stone process. I was not going to wake up one day and have everything perfectly changed. There will be disappointments and minor setbacks, but I feel as if I set my mind to building my resolution rather than just changing immediately, I will be more committed to improving my own self.

Starting small. I strongly believe this is the way to go. Quitting smoking or junk food cold turkey is both, torturous and ineffective. Decreasing the amount of cigarettes you smoke or the junk food you eat is more efficient than shunning your body from things that help relieve your stress or comfort you. I have never been a lover of junk food, so healthy eating comes natural to me. Going to the gym, uhhhh not so much. Oops. I did change my lazy habits last year and went to the gym every day, however, I realized instead of working out I was actually tiring myself because I would stay for two hours and overexert myself. Eventually, I was totally discouraged to even drive to the gym. This year, with hopes of starting small, I'm planning to go to the gym for 45 mins ever other day. This way, I get my workout done and don't knockout on my bed right after.

Accepting flaws. The year 2016 was a big eye- opener for me. No one is perfect and nothing will ever be completely perfect. Life changes so fast and sometimes resolutions must be tweaked. Changing yourself for the better is definitely a start, but you will not see that change unless you accept that there was something wrong beforehand. I always knew I had anxiety, but being in PA school made it spiral into something completely more severe. I was anxious, depressed, and just overall, unhealthy. I honestly thought that it was all part of being a PA student, but no career should make you vomit every morning and cry uncontrollably for hours on end (unfortunately, yes this is all true). I thought my anxiety was just acting up and I had to deal with it. However, my anxiety had transformed into something that was so intense, I can not describe it to this day. One of the most difficult experiences was coming to terms with the fact that I needed help—immediate help— in order to cope with my anxiety that had formed itself into my opposing enemy. My own mine was putting myself down and for a long time I was unable to escaped from its grasp. Regardless, I have sought help and I can not say how much it has changed my mindset. My anxiety is not completely gone, but now I have the strength to say "it's there and there is nothing I can do about it" AND still go one with my day instead of being a miserable mess. 2017 better watch out because my anxiety ain't got nothing on me, and I mean it for sure this time.

I've told you my minor resolutions for 2017, so I guess you all are wondering what my major resolution is. Truthfully, it is to be happy— genuinely happy. No more fake smiles to cover how mentally exhausted I look. No more fake laughs to cope with how depressed I feel. I am truly fortunate and I know for a fact, I need to be more grateful towards the blessings I already have than to be resentful of what I do not have because of my anxiety, depression, and stress. My anxiety and depression sit next to me, waiting for me to crumble. But guess what, I'll just give them a sweet smile and move along because the best part about resolutions is the power it offers to rise above challenges. Never forget that and 2017 will be YOUR YEAR.

P.S: I'm about to make 2017 my b****.