What It's Like To Be A Color Guard Instructor

A couple of months ago, I became an instructor for a very talented group of girls. I am an instructor for color guard, and I am really grateful for this amazing opportunity that I have been given.

I had many instructors growing up, and I could find at least one good quality in each one of them. Watching them write work and drill, interacting with the members, and trying their hardest to design the greatest show possible was always really inspiring to me. The idea of being an instructor was amazing, but I never thought that I would get the opportunity. I was so afraid that no one would give me that opportunity because I wouldn’t be good enough, but I was fortunate (one might even say “lucky”) to get the job.

Although some days are stressful between school and working two additional jobs, I always look forward to going to practice and watching my girls shine. They are all so sweet, and their energy builds me up. I never leave practice feeling bored or unsatisfied. I feel like one of those cartoons where the person walks into a building with a thundercloud overhead and then leaving with a rainbow and a bright smile on their face.

Some days I feel gloomy and exhausted, and I do not feel motivated to do anything, but when I am at practice, I feel like I am worth something. I see the way the girls interact with me, and I know that I am doing a good job. Their bright eyes and wide grins show me just how well I am actually doing, even if I don't feel it sometimes.

In many different ways, I see a little bit of myself in some of these girls, and I just want to be there for them no matter what they are going through.

I know that there were times in my life that I felt like I had no one to turn to, and I felt lost and unloved. So, I made it my ultimate goal to be there for them when they needed someone. As an instructor, I take pride in not only creating a beautifully flowing show with talented performers, but being the person that my kids know they can go to when they have a problem. I understand what it was like to feel lonely and depressed, and my only wish was that I could make each and everyone of them feel like they matter.

As an instructor, I have so many roles: from teaching the girls all of the dance, rifle, and flag work, to being their shoulder to cry on.

I can be stern when I need to be, but I can also be positive and relaxed. I live by the philosophy that winning isn’t everything and that a performer’s focus should be on their growth, on and off the floor.

I am so grateful to have been given the opportunity to teach. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would be given the chance to teach such talented and beautiful young ladies. I wish them the best of luck throughout their color guard careers, and I hope that they know how grateful that I am to have them in my life.