How Do College Women REALLY Feel About Dating Apps?
Dating

Good? Bad? Or just eh?

260

Dating apps, a lot of people use them so it seems like a lot of people like them. However, it seems like not a lot of people know how women feel about them. More specifically college women. So I sent out a survey to my sorority sisters, some of my friends, and people in my Odyssey community. Only nineteen of them responded, so this article will be based on those nineteen answers.

My first question was on whether on not they actually use any dating apps. Nine of the people who responded said yes and ten of the people said no. Whether this is because they are already in a relationship or if they don't find it necessary is unsure, but I had to start with a base question. Out of those fourteen of them answered my next question which was what app do you use. Which you may be thinking that doesn't add up because that was what I was thinking, but then I looked at the "other" response and it was people a lot of people said that they don't use one. The choices I did give on that were Tinder, Bumble, More than one, or Other. The majority of people said that they just used Tinder, nobody said that they just used Bumble, a couple people said more than one, and I did get one answer saying that they use OkCupid.

After that, I asked the people who said no to using a dating app if they would ever use them. Everyone except one person answered this question. The majority of people said that they would indeed use a dating app and only four people said that they wouldn't consider using a dating app. I didn't really find this all that shocking because I feel like it's something that a lot of people feel like it's something that you should try at least once.

The last two questions that I asked where opinion pieces. The first of those two was about whether or not people actually liked dating apps. I got a lot of mixed responses on this. Some people think that they are nice and they like them. Some said that they are stupid and pointless. Then some people just felt like they were eh. Below are some of the answers that I got.

"I feel like they're a good way to put yourself out there but they don't have the best reputation anymore and many people don't seem to feel like they're used to find long-term relationships. I'm too skeptical to join one, but it would be a good way to start meeting people."

"Dating apps are fun at times like I enjoy getting on there to see all the dumb and cringey shit guys will say to me. But at the same time, as someone who is waiting for a real relationship, dating apps can be a little disheartening and a bit of a letdown."

"I have mixed feelings. I believe they could be very useful and beneficial if people took into consideration others wants and interests. I also think that it would be of better use if people were more respectful and used it to actually date instead of trying to hook up. I'm skeptical, but I have my boundaries with them."

"I believe they could be better, but I do believe they work for any purpose you have for it."

"They're ok, not really a good way to meet people when you're younger"

The second of the two opinion questions was what has been peoples experience been with them if they do use them. Once again I got mixed responses. This time it was primarily only either good experiences or bad ones. It also seemed like most the people that use them had a good experience. However, there are people that still had bad experiences, which wasn't unexpected. Below are some of those responses.

"lots of horny boys looking for one night stands"

"repetitive thirsty peeps"

"I met my ex-boyfriend on Tinder, which was quite the trip lol. And I've also met some hookups, all in all, I'd Say my experience has been positive and always bringing me something interesting. 😂"

"I've made some good friends through it but never found potential relationships lmao. It be like that tho"

"A mix of weird and amusing. My main purpose for using a dating app was as an ego boost after my ex-bf broke up with me. I never actually met any of the boys I messaged and never even gave them my number, but the app definitely gave me the ego boost I needed at the time hahahha"

"I met my bf on tinder and we've been dating for well over a year now"

"I found my past two boyfriends through tinder. The first one we broke up after a month but the second I'm still with and love a lot. We were friends for a few months before we started dating though."

"Eh, not the greatest"

"Honestly, I usually just end up having conversations with people and getting to know them sense it's clear I'm not the hook up type of gal. Sometimes, though, I'll get nasty or sexual messages from people and I'm like— seriously, did you even read my bio?"

"Positive. Had a year long relationship from tinder. Also negative. Mostly used for hookups and not what I was looking for"

I personally do use dating apps. I used to have both Tinder and Bumble, but then I decided to deleted Tinder because, in my opinion, I thought guys on bumble where a lot nicer. I never had any really positive experiences, it is a good confidence booster; even if people are just saying nice things to just try to hook up. Which I never go let it go that far. However, I no longer really use Bumble. The only times that I get on there anymore are when I'm bored and it's usually to either just look at boys or to read weird bios.

All in all, it seems like most people that answered my survey either like it or hate it. To me, it seems like it just depends on you and your personality.