College Tips for Newbies (or Oldies)

College Tips for Newbies (or Oldies)

Where do I fit my mental breakdown into my school schedule?

30
College Tips for Newbies (or Oldies)
http://spongebob.wikia.com

After surviving two years of college, I feel as though I have obtained enough wisdom to pass on some advice to those starting school in the all for the first time, or those who have decided to go back and need some tips for the transition process.

When it comes to choosing a college, don’t be discouraged at the option of attending a community college. Don’t let anyone tell you that it’s “a bad idea” or “people who go to community college are stupid.” Going to a community college was one of the best decisions of my life. I broadened my horizons, discovered my career path, and networked with inspiring professors who have helped me find my way.

To the people who made me feel that going to a community college was for bottom feeders, I enjoyed seeing your faces two semesters later in the hallway after you’ve flunked out of university and are now thirty to fifty thousand dollars in debt.

Picking your major isn’t like choosing an elective class in high school. This is valuable time and money on the line here. Do not go to college with the mindset that you’re “going with the flow.” This is the base of your future. If you’re indecisive about obtaining an education, study Liberal Arts. Many people say it’s a waste of time, but it’s a major where you get a little taste of everything. It’s like a buffet, but you actually feel good about it after you leave.

Buying books will break your bank. If you think the tuition is expensive, wait until you see the prices on those books. Check online for free PDF’s and look into renting on websites such as Amazon or Barnes N Noble. If you have no choice but to buy the book, buy the newest edition. If you purchase the newest edition you’ll receive the highest amount of money in buy back options.

Being organized is the key to success. Buy a planner. If you can’t afford one, use a separate piece of paper where you can jot down reminders, or use your calendar on your phone to stay on top of your work. You will have multiple deadlines for essays, quizzes, projects, midterms, and finals. Even if you claim to be an expert at remembering important things, you’re bound to forget something, and that “something” will most likely be the most important thing you were supposed to remember.

Your education comes first; not your part-time job, your high school sweetheart, or your late night parties. Part-time jobs, lovers, and parties can be temporary. You have to set yourself up for success. The first step is deciding to attend college; the rest is in your hands.

If you’re working more hours at your job than what you’re investing into your schoolwork, you’re doing it wrong. The little extra money you’re getting that may seem to be good at the time won’t be enough when you’re forty and still saying “would you like to upsize your popcorn or try a candy, they’re two for five dollars?”

Do you get my drift?

Take advantage of student discounts. Don’t be afraid to ask establishments if they have student discounts. Being a student can save you a few bucks here and there, and saving money during college is what every person seeks to do. Amazon Prime Student discount is undeniably my favorite. This is because for fifty dollars a year, you have free two day shipping on countless amounts of items. I’m able to order a textbook (whether rented or bought) and have it in my hands in two days.

My final piece of advice is to have fun. Enjoy the experiences you’ll have because it’ll be over with (what seems like) the blink of an eye. You’re going to be stressed out and their will be days where you want to give up, but don’t. Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.