College Flies By, But How?
Life Stages

Why Does Time In College Fly By?

A week in college feels like a single day in the real world, but why?

289
Why Does Time In College Fly By?
Personal Photo

"Enjoy it, college goes by quick."

The number of times I heard this in the last few months of high school and summer was insane. I didn't believe it, either. Four years in high school dragged on, so why wouldn't college? The work would be much harder, I'd have a lot on my plate. It would almost have to go as slow as high school, I was certain.

Today, I packed my bags for my first college spring break. I feel like I moved in yesterday. I'm not sure what it is, but when you're at school, a day goes by in the blink of an eye. I don't understand how time passes this quickly, but it does. A week in college feels like a day in the real world. Even though our schedules are packed to the gills with class, homework, jobs, and extracurriculars, we still find ourselves with an overwhelming amount of free time.

Maybe the time passes quickly because we nap away all of the stress, or maybe it's because of the anticipation for the weekends, but there has to be some type of black magic behind why it flies by so quickly. They say time flies when you're having fun, or is the saying time flies when you're spending tens of thousands of dollars to get a degree?

If there is one thing that this warp in the space-time continuum taught me, it's to cherish every moment you have with the people you love. We spend so much time on schoolwork (and mandatory naps), we sometimes forget to give ourselves time to have fun and make memories. A degree is important, but so are the relationships you make in college. Treat them with equal importance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the friends you make in college are extremely important to your life. You may have only known them for a short amount of time, but they get to see the true you and will be there to push you to succeed. They'll be there to encourage you to go to class even when you really don't feel like it, be a shoulder to cry on, and help you fill your dorm room with laughter. Now that I think about it, maybe it's the good friendships you begin that make time fly. Because when these four years are up, you'll be wishing for more.