A College Student's Calendar At A Glance

A little different from the academic calendar you'll find online.

27
popsugar.com

With summer vacation coming to a close and the stressful whispers of the pending school year creeping up on us, it's about time to think about the upcoming year. It's no secret that living away from home and being at college changes many things about your every day life, and looking at the year as a whole seems a bit overwhelming. But, when you pare it all down and really look at the main events of a college student's calendar you'll find a year away at school really isn't all that long after all. This is how it generically breaks down:

Syllabus Week

A week of no homework, no studying, and no cares. For freshman, this is simply a misleading tease for what college will be like. For everyone else, its a deep breath of air before real college starts.

Columbus Break

While by this time, we've come to realize innocent little Christopher who sailed the ocean blue in fourteen-hundred-ninety-two isn't necessarily a great guy, October break is a nice little pause in the year. It's either a long weekend to go home and bring back more scarves and boots, or a time to kick back in the dorm with some pumpkin spiced everything and plot for the next big event in college.....

HALLOWEEKEND!!!

After a month of scary movies, candy corn, and seeing this gif every time you go on twitter, it is finally time for a weekend long of Halloween themed shenanigans. Can't decide if your crew wants to dress up as Tom Cruise in Risky Business or a line of loofas? No worries, you can do it all!!!

Thanksgiving Break

Been doing well at keeping that freshman 15 far away? Truth be told, you don't put on the weight at school, it all hits once you come home after fasting for months out of fear of consuming the food provided by the dining hall.

Basically The Holidays

Lots of times you won't get home to your Christmas tree and family until a few days before Christmas. So once December 1st arrives, the Holiday season officially begins as do the somewhat fun but awfully sweaty Ugly Sweater parties.

Finals Week (ew)

The last hurdle before you can fully embrace the joy of the holidays without a single assignment to weigh on your brain. This is a dark time. But it too shall pass.

Winter Break

Kicked off with marathons of Rudolph and White Christmas by the fire with a cup of hot chocolate, there's nothing quite like being this stress free. That is, until you realize you have to get a job, visit 14 different family's houses, have a few nights out with the high school crew, and then pack for school all over again.

Syllabus Week Part 2

Sure, you have to head back to school and get back on the studying grind, but this time, you know how to use your freedom of syllabus week the right way.

SAINT PATRICK'S DAY!!!

After the long, cold, and pretty uneventful month of February, Saint Patrick's Day is a welcomed friend to nearly ever college student. Though it's a holiday that doesn't get you out of class, it is an excuse to get out that one green shirt you own and pretend you are in fact Irish.

Spring Break

For some, Spring Break means flying down to some tropical spot of the world drinking the days away and dancing till dawn. However, for those of us who don't have an unlimited budget, it's an oppertunity to go home, cool your jets, and maybe make some extra money.

The Longest Stretch of Nothingness

Early Spring is possibly the most frustrating time to be in college. It's kind of getting warmer, but not hot enough to sit out on the quad without it raining on you or your notes getting sweot away by the wind. There isn't a whole lot to celebrate and when there is, you don't have the time to take part becasue of midterms.

Finals Week

Another frustrating portion of the year. It's a time when the sun is finally out and all you can think about is going home and hitting the beach, but you simply must stay focused on your studies in order to not get kicked out of college.

SUMMA!!!!!

And just like that, you're done with the stress of classes and the pains of studying and you can go home and reunite with your high school pals. Quick year when you see it this way, isn't it?