18 Activities That Complete The Perfect Summer Bucket List For College Kids

It's been a long year of school, and we're pretty broke, but that doesn't mean the fun of summer has to stop!

114
Mikaela Cok

Summer is peaking out behind the corner and it is just about that time when you start to make big plans for an A+ summer! One thing that's not so exciting is that as a college student, you most likely are part of the majority that has little funds to spend.

So, to make sure you still have the summer of your life, these 18 things you'll definitely want to add to your summer bucket list.

1. Tour your hometown

This might sound super boring because you've probably lived there a majority of your life and what could you see that you haven't seen? Well, I thought the same thing until I stumbled upon a history book on my town, and we spent hours driving around finding where old cafes used to be, theaters, and an abandoned sawmill, it was SO cool!

2. Thrift shop with friends for a summer outfit

$10, $15, $20 budget, find a goodwill or thrift store nearby and use that budget to find an ultimate summer outfit. You honestly wouldn't believe the outfits you can find!

3. Take your dog on a date

You can find dog popsicles on Pinterest that cost $2 to make, whip up a batch, and spend a couple of hours walking, playing Frisbee, and giving your pup a delicious cool treat. It might just be your happiest memory of the year.

4. Go stargazing

Grab some pillows, blankets, snacks, a pickup truck or any car, drive out of the city and go star gazing with some friends. Last one to see a shooting star buys everyone milkshakes.

5. Go geocaching!

All you have to do is download the app and look around for all sorts of geocaches! It can be super adventurous, you never know what you'll find or where you'll end up.

6. Have a paint-balloon fight

Okay, seriously this is a must try! Find some old shorts and T-shirt you don't mind getting dirty, go to a dollar store and find a few different $1 paint bottles and water balloons. Instead of filling them with water, find them with paint and fire away!

7. Find a themed 5K

There is tons of summer 5k's that involve paint, mud, adventure courses, and if you sign up in time it only costs around $30, and you get a T-shirt (a majority of the time), they will sometimes give you medals, headbands, or even sunglasses.

8. Make your own summer camp

If you can find a backyard, a fire pit, hammocks/sleeping bags, buy some hot dogs and some juices (alcoholic or not), and spend the night singing the cheesiest songs you can think of while also telling the most basic scary stories you can think of.

9. River tubing with friends

You can either rent kayaks or canoes separately which is a bit more pricey, or you can all pitch in for a river floating inflatable boat, bring some drinks, music and spend a good 2-4 hours chilling, enjoying the water and the company of your besties.

10. Scout out free festivals

There are always hundreds of festivals over the summers no matter where you live, and many of them won't charge a fee to get in. Floating lantern, melon festivals, art festivals, and even some free music ones. Try going to one where you've never been!

11. Rainy day = movie day

Usually, not every single day of summer is sunny and 75 degrees, so if you happen to run into a thunderstorm or cloudy day, have a movie marathon! Select your favorite series or one you've always wanted to watch and binge away the day!

12. Drive-In Movies

Drive-in movies are a BLAST! If you live near a drive in, find a week where there's a movie or two, since they usually play two, that you want to see and head over. If you don't live near one, find a projector, some movies, and a blank white sheet to hang up outside and voila! You have yourself a drive-in theater!

13. Lazy lake day!

If you don't live by an ocean, it can be pricey to go and stay near one, so find a lake near you with some sand, pack a cooler and some towels, and laze around the lake. Bring some games too!

14. Ice cream cone adventures

There are many ice cream places where you can grab a cone for just a dollar or two. Spend a day mapping out some shops near you that you haven't been to in years or at all, and taste test ice cream in different flavors and forms, you can run it off later.\

15. Go to a county or state fair

If you go to a fair, pay the admission, and then spend the day looking at animals, dressed up vegetables, science projects, a lot of booths give you free souvenirs of things, and make sure to grab at least one funnel cake!

16. Go hiking

Embrace your loving nature side for a free day hiking around rocks, trees, and plants to breathe in the fresh air away from society for a day. Pack some Capri Suns and PB and J's and bring a camera for photos of some gorgeous scenery!

17. Fruit picking

Hunt down a fresh fruit farm near you where you can pick anything from strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, or peaches, use them for smoothies, homemade Popsicle, pies or for a healthy snack.

18. Family BBQ

Family BBQ's are by far one of my favorite things every summer. Not only do you get to hang out with some of your favorite relatives, but you get to enjoy everyone's specialty dishes, and there is almost nothing better than that!