3 Steps To Follow If You're A College Kid With ADHD

Sometimes between all the responsibilities it can seem that life is falling apart but these steps can help to manage work and play.
100

In my life, I have one major blessing and issue: the desire to do everything. This is something that is a blessing because I have learned many skills that I can utilize in many different areas of my life but it is also an issue because I jump from project to project so quickly that I rarely ever finish one thing. About a year ago I learned that this was just one sign of ADHD. After being officially diagnosed with ADHD, I have been able to learn how to manage my day-to-day life in a manner that still allows me to express my creative side but also being able to focus on one project at a time and actually finish it. As a college kid, this sometimes seems impossible to do but by following a few steps I am able to help myself still do everything I need to do and still find time to explore new hobbies.

1. Create a Routine

This step is probably the hardest for me, personally. By even doing something as simple as waking up at the same time every day it can create structure in your life that can be incredibly beneficial. Eventually, your body will even adjust to the routine and it will become second nature. Once you make a set routine part of your normal life, it will become something you don't even have to think about but you'll still be getting stuff done.

2. Make a Prioritized To-Do List

Writing down a list of everything you want to accomplish is pretty easy. The hard part is deciding what needs to be done first. Your school work should come before organizing your dresser but maybe it should come after making your car payment. By being able to learn and figure out what is the most important, it should become easier to finish those things that need to be done. Sure, maybe the things at the bottom of the list don't get done for a month but at least you know that you have all of the time-dependent tasks completed.

3. Leave Time For You

Between all the "grown-up" things it may seem we have to conquer, make sure to leave time for things you actually want to do. I like to make time to learn new hobbies in every area of the creativity spectrum I can. I practice new writing techniques, write music, play music, draw, and among many other things I have decided to try to learn. Does it mean I'm good at all these things? No. It means that I am setting aside time for myself to just have fun and do whatever I want so I don't drain out all my energy by trying to stifle my creativity with school and work.