The Pressure to Find a Summer Internship, and Other Terrifying College Sophomore Problems

Was I even a freshman? I don't remember.

70

Here we are, over with 2018 and it has been a journey and an adventure.

To be honest, I don't remember my freshman year because it was just so stressful and amazing that I can't recall specific emotions that I had; it was just a period of heightened stress and freedom and I never want to do it again.

Okay, that's not true. I am still doing it, just as a sophomore and I am done with 1/3rd of sophomore year and honestly, it is somehow impossibly harder than it was in freshman year (and freshman year was pretty tough).

Here are some added stress or benefits, depends on how you look at it, of being a sophomore from my limited 4 months of experience.

1. Freshman look at you like you have your life together

Every time anyone asks me for advice, I somehow have something useful and helpful to say but that is just a reflex response, please do not presume that I understand what is happening in college because spoiler alert: I know I may look it, but I do not have anything in my life together.

2. The internship search begins (and never really stops)

Listen, let's be real for a second here. Finding an internship is hard and no one is going to tell you anything different but if you apply early and apply for a lot of internships, you are bound to get one. Just hang in there and believe in yourself.

But oh boy, the pressure to get one? This is the real peer pressure.

3. People ask you "what do you want to do with your life" and you are expected to have an answer????

Please just stop asking. Please. If I knew, trust me, I'd tell myself and then you.

I am sorry I don't have my life in perfect harmony right now but I am trying to get it close to that, I'd like if you don't point it out every 10 seconds.

4. You don't actually remember freshman year so did it actually happen?

Who was I last year? I don't know. I vaguely recall being excited about college without any stress but it is a hazy memory. I don't remember her.

I wish I did though, she was younger and more ignorant. I wish I could be her but I have seen too much.

5. I'm not a teenager anymore! What comes after teenager!

Yup I'm about to become 20 in 2019 and I'm not ready for that lifestyle at all.

I can't imagine being a senior in college and graduating. I hope y'all seniors are getting by because I am freaking out about being a sophomore so I can't even comprehend senioritis.

But I promise being a sophomore is not all bad. You are one year closer to graduating and finally being done with college. Planning to get an apartment with your friends is pretty fun and you can finally do some of the classes you really want to, even if they are significantly more harder than freshman courses.

Good luck!