College Shopping 101

College Shopping 101

Tips for moving into college!

45
College Shopping 101
Dorm Life 101

As high school seniors are deciding where they're attending college in the fall, going dorm shopping, and planning the "Pinterest-worthy" dorm room, here are some of my tips and advice on how to be successful in college shopping.

1. Coupons

Coupons will seriously be one of your best friends while dorm shopping. Stores like Bed, Bath, and Beyond send out coupons and there are apps like Shopular that give you coupons on your phone.

2. Online Shopping

When it comes to online shopping, use www.ebates.com! When joining Ebates, you start earning cashback on almost everything you buy. If you sign up, you’ll get a $10 Welcome Bonus after your first purchase*. So start earning up to 40 PERCENT cashback at over 1,800 stores, including Amazon, eBay, Macy’s, Sephora, Nordstrom, and more! You can also find thousands of coupons, free shipping offers, and promo codes to help you save even more money. Join today and get your $10 Welcome Bonus, and I will also get a bonus if you use me as a reference! Use my email JulesRules97@aol.com so I can get a bonus too!

3. Extension Cords

Extension cords are essential for dorm life! You can find these anywhere!

4. Desk Lamps

You'll definitely need one of these. Dorm room lighting is terrible so having a lamp on your desk really helps.

5. Mini Fridge and Microwave

You definitely need a fridge and a microwave. Most colleges require you have two 2.0 cubic feet refrigerators or one 4.0 cubic feet refrigerator and ONE microwave with a maximum of 750 watts. I highly suggest talking with your roommate on who's bringing what.

6. Bedding and Decor

When it comes to bedding, every bed is a twin bed. Bring a couple extra long twin sheets, pillows, a mattress pad (you really need this! It makes your bed so much more comfortable), and comforter. You can find these items at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Target, Walmart, and anywhere that sells home furniture.

7. Steamers

Since most freshman dorm rooms are really small (my freshman dorm room is 179 sq. ft.), there is no room for an iron and ironing board. Invest in a steamer. It's small and you can place it on the top shelf of your closet. You can purchase one from Bed, Bath, and Beyond as well as other places.

8. Over-the-Counter Antibiotics

You will definitely need Advil, DayQuil, and other over-the-counter things for allergies, colds, etc.

9. Cleaning Supplies

Your room will get messy, so you'll need cleaning supplies like Windex, Dawn Dish Soap, wet wipes, and paper towels, to name a few. Having cleaning supplies will eliminate germs and help you from getting sick.

10. Snacks and Drinks

Stock up on water and snacks in your dorm room. You can grab a bottled water and a little snack before going to class or a movie night with your roommate.

11. A Keurig

Having a Keurig will be essential if you are a coffee or tea lover for those long nights of studying or a cold winter day.

12. Mini Fan

It's no lie that freshmen get the worst dorms on campus. Depending on how old your school's dorms are, I highly recommend bringing a mini fan with you if you're stuck in a dorm with no air conditioning.

13. Flip Flops

Flip flops are absolutely essential in college dorms! College showers are shared by everyone on your floor and the showers are gross!

14. Extra Personal Hygiene Things

Bring extra shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. to school with you so you'll never run out.

15. Extra School Supplies

Bring extra pens, paper, pencils, notebooks, etc. for the semester!

From Your Site Articles