A College Senior's 'To Do' List

A College Senior's 'To Do' List

The top 5 things every college Senior should check off before graduating

31
A College Senior's 'To Do' List
The Imaginative Conservative

In just one week, I will finally be starting my last semester as an undergraduate college student! For some students across the country, their last semester has already begun. January is half-way completed and graduation will be upon us sooner than we anticipate. Personally, I have been a college student for five years and I am looking forward to what is ahead. Even though we are preparing for the "real world", there are many things we have not completed in the college world. For me, these are the top five things that are on my 'To Do' list before I receive my Diploma and that you should check off too!

1) Attend a Sporting Event

I have been a college student for five years and a college student at my current institution for three years. I can count on one hand the number of sporting events I have attended between the two colleges I went/go to. I have not attended any sporting events at my current institution, including never having attended our rival game 'Cortaca'. My goal for my last semester of undergrad here at SUNY Cortland is to attend a baseball, hockey, and basketball game before graduation. I feel that as a Red Dragon it is important for me to take pride in my school and share that pride with my fellow peers; including my peers that are student athletes themselves. Thankfully, almost every sporting event at my college is free of charge. Take a look at your own school at games that are free, or even club sport games.

2) Join a Club

I know what your thinking; "I go to class, I work, and I also have other things to do. How can I have the time for a club?!" I myself have felt this way, especially with the added stress of having to applying for graduate school and finding a 'real' job after graduation. I was apart of some clubs, even informal ones, at my previous institution but am not apart of any clubs here at my current one. Clubs range in types from academic interstets, clubs for a specific major and/or minor, clubs for cultural, political, or religious reasons, and clubs for general fun. My goal this semester is to join a fun club and a club for general interest. My college has many clubs on campus, with more being added throughout the entire year. We have offices for clubs, a website full of resources, and a lot of staff involvement with the clubs running as well. Don't be afraid to check out what clubs your own college has. You may be able to build some networking connections, meet some new lifelong friends, and have something to look forward to every week.

3) Try Something New

This one is a big thing for me. I take this as a way for me to get out of my own comfort zone. My college has many club sports and free or low cost activities on campus almost every day of the week. There are free movie nights, grocery bingo, speakers on campus for a variety of reasons, and something (I admit) that I am curious to try- Broomball. Yep, you read that right. My college has a Broomball team and it is a very popular activity here on campus, for people to play and for people to spectate. It would take a lot for me to get out of my comfort zone to try this new activity, so I may end up taking the safer route. Check your campus to see what types of activities are going on. It may be a way for an inexpensive date night, a fun opportunity to catch-up with friends every week, or just a little something to do for yourself.

4) Thank a Professor, Staff Member, etc.

I have not been at this college long, but already have had such positive interactions with many faculty and staff here at my college. I also have the privilege of working with my campuses Residence Life and Housing department as a Residence Assistant in the housing area that I reside in. I have also developed relationships with two professors here that have helped me academically and personally, whether that be for a letter of recommendation or someone to ask advice from regarding another course. My college offers every semester a way to say 'Thank You' to the staff and/or faculty that we students interact with; it's called 'Take a Staff Member to Lunch'. This little program allows students to choose a faculty or staff member of their choice, and allows them to both receive a free meal at one of the campus dining facilities. This opportunity is a unique activity that students and faculty really enjoy. Even if your school doesn't offer such a thing, taking the time to write a thank you card to a professor or giving a teacher coffee can be a small way to thank them for their time and contributions.

5) Go on a Vacation with Friends

If only I had all the money in the world to travel with the people I love! I was lucky enough to have the chance to save up money to travel with my boyfriend over winter break to Disney World together. Despite getting food poisoning, we had a great time together! It allowed us to share quality time with one another, to share memories with one another, and to even have alone time to learn a little more about one another (I learned he's a terrible packer..). I think that having the opportunity to share this with your friends before you all start your own paths in life is an important bonding opportunity. I really want to have the chance to take a small, low cost vacation with my roommate (who also happens to be my best friend). Having the time to create memories with each other would be a special memory around a time full of change.