I Didn't Expect My College Roommate To Become My Best Friend

The last thing I expected was to end the year with a new forever friend.
156

Moving into a room the size of a shoe box with a stranger for a year is kind of a scary thought, but any college freshman knows there’s no way out of it. Prior to moving in, no one really knows what to expect of their roommate. There’s so many things that could go wrong and so many questions you have. The last thing I expected was to end the year with a new forever friend.

As my first year of college is winding down, I’ve been reflecting on all the new experiences I was lucky enough to have this year. One of the biggest of course, was living in the dorms. In the beginning, I was nervous about sharing a room with someone I didn’t know, but as the first few weeks of school passed I felt like I had known my roommate forever. I had never met someone so much alike me before. I definitely did not expect this.

It didn’t take long for us to figure out that we both die for adventures and love to relax with some good music. I swear we grew closer by the minute. One day we were introducing ourselves and the next we were staying up until three in the morning exchanging secrets. I never thought I’d be lucky enough to share a room with my best friend by chance.

My roommate becoming my best friend was the best surprise I could have gotten my first year in school. Without her, I would have no one to binge watch Netflix with, complain about school and homework with or adventure anywhere we can go. I will forever be thankful for my roommate getting me through the stressors and long nights of our freshman year.

Now my biggest fear isn’t sharing a tiny room with a stranger, it’s having to say good bye to my best friend for the summer.