12 Career Tips All College Freshmen Need To Know Now

How to use these four years of college to pad your resume so that when you are faced with the ever-daunting internship application, you actually look impressive.

23
https://www.careerrealism.com/

Now, there are possibly 100,000 of these articles circulating across the internet this time of year, but take the time to read this one. I won't tell you to go out and join a million clubs, and play nice with your roomie, and go play 10 intramural sports. I am going to tell you how to use these four years of college to pad your resume so that when you are faced with the ever-daunting internship application, you actually look impressive.

1. Go join a club

Do not go out and join drama because their t-shirts are cool if you've always hated public speaking. Join the clubs that matter to you. If you're a Criminal Justice major, see if your campus has a CJ club. If you're in biology, join the wildlife club. And then, join another club or sport, just one other, that isn't academic.

2. Work your way up in the club

Work within your clubs and become a leader. Any office within a club is an automatic +1 on your resume. Not to mention, it gives you great practice leading in a subject that you're passionate about.

3. Get to know two professors

At least two. Don't go stalk them, but make sure they know who you are. The best choices are the classes you excel in. These professors will be your references. Now, do not be fake-nice to them - they've seen it all and this will only irritate them. You do not have to be their best friends, but make sure you have at least two professors - preferably from different departments - that can speak to your work ethic, attitude, personality and would be comfortable writing you a letter of recommendation or being a reference.

4. Be nice to the admissions people

Be nice to all of the office personnel, not only because it's the decent-human thing to do, but because they are also the people that can make getting a transcript very simple and relatively painless. Also, their jobs are pretty thankless so just be nice.

5. Use your career services center

Every college has one. Go in as soon as the idea of maybe applying for an internship forms. Give them plenty of time to go over it and be receptive to criticism. These people genuinely want you to get the internship, because it will look good for the college.

6. Have a non-academic reference

This is where the intramural club comes into play. A coach can attest to how you play with others. Are you a ball hog? Do you communicate well under pressure? Are you a leader on the field or do you blame everyone else for your mistakes? A coach can speak on how you are personality wise, not just work ethic. Combine this with a good academic reference, and you're well on your way to being accepted.

7. Check internship deadlines constantly

Some internships are only available to college freshmen. Some you have to be a double major in O-Chem and Philosophy. Make an internship folder in your bookmarks and set reminders in your phone eight weeks ahead of the internship deadline. This will give you time to procrastinate and still get a decent application in.

8. Is there a priority deadline?

Some internships give priority to those applications turned in early in the summer, so it's really never too early to start looking for internships.

9. Ask about honor societies

You don't have to be part of the honor's college to join the philosophy honor society. Some professors will say "don't worry, we reach out to you when you're a junior" and that's okay. You've made it clear to the professor that you are serious about that honor society and if you might have been on the line, you're more likely to be accepted into it when the time comes.

10. YOUR GPA MATTERS

You learned this two years ago junior year of high school when you started applying for financial aid and realized "if I was .4 higher, I'd get a lot more money." GPA is very important. It's important for internships, for applying to graduate school and yes, C's get degrees, but you know what they don't get? Good grants to go on in school.

11. Do not get DUI's

Or anything else that will go on your personal record. If you're hesitating - debating if it's a good idea, just say no. Sure, maybe you'll be in for a lame night with Netflix, but at least your record is clean and you're not running from cops at 1 AM. And honestly, you'll appreciate being able to go to sleep early.

12. Give yourself time

This is why number eight is so important. Maybe you say "I work best under pressure." Fine, but start gathering materials and working on a cover letter so you can get those documents into the career center.

College is a great time. It can be the best four years of your life, it can be four years you don't even remember because you were too drunk. You shouldn't forget to enjoy college, but simple steps can ensure you graduate with not only a grand diploma, but also a solid resume and (hopefully) an internship. Or better yet, a job.