College Party 'Ratios' Are Sexist Against Men, Change My Mind
Nightlife

College Party 'Ratios' Are Sexist Discrimination Against Men, Change My Mind

For every guy who wants to go to a party, he needs four or five girls to accompany him.

561

I'm sure at least every college student has at least been to a party once — or they've tried to. I'm a first-year female, and I've been to a few parties. I don't necessarily like them, but free drinks and good music can rope anyone in. There's also the fact that females can get into these parties with NO hassle. You have a group of 10 girls? No problem. Three girls? Step right up. Even if you're all alone, you can get in anywhere as long as you're a female.

But if you're a male? Good luck, you're most likely not going to get in.

Before I came to college, I didn't understand what "ratios" were. I mean, of course, I know what an actual ratio is in mathematical terms, but a party ratio is a little different.

It's also very very sexist.

Most parties put out a ratio when the addresses come out. They'll usually be something like 1:4 or 1:5. This actually means, that for every guy who wants to go to a party, he needs four or five girls to accompany him. Simply preparing for that and gathering girls itself is hard. Especially because if you're a male and you want your male best friend to come with you, both of you need about eight or 10 girls COMBINED. Isn't that a little too much?

Last week, my roommate dragged me out of bed to go to a party because I'd been working all week. I agreed only because the weather was somewhat okay. We went with a couple from our residence hall, one other female, and two other guys. So a total of four girls, and three guys. Obviously not good for ratios at all. When we got to the party, we found out that not only was the ratio 1:5, but a dude had to pay $5 for EVERY MISSING GIRL. So we all split up to get in, and it was me and one of the guys as a "group." They let me in, but the guy with me had to pay $15 dollars out of pocket.

And the party was a**!

What really inspired me to write this article, was when he said, "I feel really bad about paying $15 for this. I work at a grocery store and I only make money doing that, so this is really painful."

To be honest, I was pretty mad. I would never put down that much money for a stupid party. But what do you do if you're a guy and don't have a ratio? You pay.

We're always talking about the feminist movement and how men have more than females, but is this really any better?

Parties just want females for clout. Males are overshadowed. Why should only guys have to pay to get in? When asked, the answer comes down to covering the costs assumed for throwing the party. The fraternities need to cover for their drinks and any decorations, so they use this money to do so. But not every male who pays to get in drinks. So why not just let people in and then make them pay for each drink they have? It's not sexist and it makes everyone responsible for THEIR actions.

A guy shouldn't have to pay $15 so a bunch of girls can drink free alcohol. Parties should make everyone pay to get in. Anywhere from $2-$5 per person is more than enough to cover costs. Ostracizing males from females in this matter isn't trying to achieve a more equal future for anyone. It's backward, sexist, extremely segregating, and it needs to stop.

Change my mind.