10 College Packing Essentials

Oh college, the time where everything is new, fresh, and actually quite terrifying, ESPECIALLY the summer before when you have no idea what to expect. More than likely you'll be living a few hours from home and will want to make your dorm room as cozy as can be. However, it's important to pick out the most affordable decor to make sure you don't overblown your budget on a fancy mini-fridge and string lights. Make a list and prioritize what you need to start buying first in order to prevent a large-scale spending spree at the last minute. Here are a couple of affordable dorm room suggestions:

1. Twin XL Comforter 

$22 online but prices may vary in store

Walmart

Walmart has several non-expensive twin-XL comforters available in a variety of colors and designs. I recently bought one with an online price of $29 in store for $15 so keep your eyes open!

2. Twin XL Linens

$9.99 online and in store

Target

Rather than spend $20-$40 on one sheet set, Target currently has soft microfiber sheet sets in different patters and colors for only $9.99, giving you the chance to buy an extra set without spending too much!

3. Twin XL Mattress Topper

$14.99 online

www.bedbathandbeyond.com

Take the time to invest in a reliable mattress topper to make those dorm beds more comfortable and hyperallergenic.

4. 6pk Washcloth Set 

$4.00 online

Target

Having a set of washcloths can come in handy for day to day hygiene like drying your face or cleaning up around your bathroom.

5. Towel Set

$16.99 for the set or $3.99 per towel

JCPenney

Consisting of two bath towels, hand towels, and wash clothes, this set is perfect for the typical college student. They are available for purchase separately if you are only wanting certain types of towels.

6. Shower Caddy

$5.93 online

Walmartwww.walmart.com

Especially for those living with community style showers, a shower caddy is perfect for carrying all your bathroom essentials in a portable and easy manner.

7. Door Mirror

$6.98 online and $4.99 in store

Walmart

Having a mirror that can clip on to any door is perfect for when you are in a rush and need to see a full view of your outfit for the day. Since they attach to the back of any door, they will also take up less space.

8. Mini Steamer

$19.99 online and in store

Target

Rather than having to bring out the iron and ironing board, a steamer is useful because not only does it occupy less room, it allows you to de-wrinkle clothes quickly on almost any surface.

9. Shoe Hanger

$6.00 online

Dollar General

Since this decor can also hang onto any door, you are able to use your storage for something else and not have to worry about having a mess of shoes scattered across your dorm. You can also use this to store hair products, snacks, and anything your mind can come up with!

10. Laundry Hamper

$7.23 online

Walmart

With this portable and collapsible hamper, you can store it almost anywhere and carry it to the laundry room with ease. Try not to buy a super large one to avoid crowding in your room.