How To Survive College

How To Survive College

Living away from home comes with a lot of responsibility.

8
How To Survive College
Her Campus

With the new school year right around the corner, it’s time to get our lives together. This summer may have been a great time for you to slack off and sleep with no threat of term papers, final exams or discussion questions, but it’s time to get back in gear.

I’m doing my very best to go into this fall semester with my head on right and a positive attitude, but I won’t deny that I’m a little nervous. I have taken on three separate jobs, 18 credits (four in-person classes and two online) and my first apartment. Trying to balance all of these things seems stressful to even think about and very time-consuming. But I have a plan. Here are some tips to help you stay motivated, on schedule and well-balanced for the next nine months.

Keep A Planner

I can’t stress how important it is to keep track of your appointments, classes, work schedule and anything else you may have going on. Write it all down. I like to make lists of what I need to do each day, the dates of big exams, major assignments that are coming up and even social events. If I know that I’m going to a party two weeks from now… pencil it in! Now you’ll be sure not to overbook yourself. I prefer to purchase a planner from somewhere like Target or Kate Spade instead of using the ones that schools or universities provide. The more attractive the planner is, the more I want to write in it!

Prioritize

There are always going to be some things that are more important than others. Paying your electricity bill is just more necessary than that two-point extra credit quiz in your zoology class. Luckily, all it takes these days to pay a bill is the click of a button, so you’ll have plenty of time to take the quiz. Decide what you need to do first, and get it done!

Set Goals And Make To-Do Lists

It’s been proven that people who write down their goals are more likely to achieve them. Get in on the action by writing down everything you want to get done that day, and tackling one thing at a time. There is no feeling more satisfying than being able to cross something off of your checklist. But even if you can’t manage to get everything done in one day, you know you made a significant dent in your list! Just make sure not to continuously overdo yourself (I’m talking to myself here). You can’t write three term papers, read four chapters, clean the bathroom, wash the dishes and work an eight hour shift in one day. Know your limits.

Don’t Procrastinate

If you take anything away from these tips, it should be this: DON’T LEAVE EVERYTHING TO THE LAST MINUTE! I know it’s hard to convince yourself that you need to start working on your final paper right away, but you really should. Big projects may be something you don’t know how to start working on right away, but do anything you can as soon as you can. For little tasks, there’s no excuse. My favorite guideline to follow is if it’s something you are able to finish in under five minutes, just do it now. You’ll thank yourself later.

Maintain a Positive Mindset

I am a strong believer that what you think is what you get. If you can remain positive and optimistic despite all of the responsibilities you will have, then things will continue to go well for you. However, if you get swallowed by the overwhelming stress and negativity that comes along with college and adult life, you will drown. As long as you can keep telling yourself that everything will turn out okay, it will. Take every task one thing at a a time with a smile on your face, and you’ll never have to worry.

Make Time For Friends

You need to have a social life; you’ll go crazy without one. Make sure that you always schedule in time for friends (whether that be your BFF Jill or Chandler, Joey and Ross). Going out and having fun every once in a while will not destroy your grades, get you fired or make you lose your apartment. It will keep you sane and is a great time to vent about all of the crap you’ve regretfully loaded onto your plate.

Schedule In Me-Time

Perhaps even more important than time for friends is time for yourself. Sometimes you just need to relax and have a do-nothing-day. I tend to forget this fairly often, and then when I have to go weeks without having any time to myself, I have a mental breakdown because I’m so darn tired. Don’t schedule yourself out so much that you don’t have time to sit back and just chill. You need to be able to have time to catch up on "Game of Thrones," read that new Amy Schumer book and listen to the long-awaited Frank Ocean album.

Keep a Clean Space

Whether you have an office or you just get things done in your bed, make sure to keep the area tidy. When you feel more clean and organized, you tend to feel more motivated to keep things going that way. You’ll be more eager to finish up your research paper and more excited to come home after a long day’s work.

Dress Nice

This is a tactic that many people don’t believe, but I will stand by for as long as I live. When you look good, you feel good, and when you feel good you do good things. You get all of your work done early and enjoy strutting your stuff through the library while doing it. So next time you’re overwhelmed by the amount of homework you were assigned the morning before you work both jobs, put on a great outfit in your favorite color scheme and work it.

Remember What You’re Working Towards

This is my biggest motivator. School has always come relatively easy to me, but when I get flustered, I just remember all that I’m working for. That gives me the little push I need to get back on track. I know that someday, I will graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee with honors, ready to jump into my first journalism job with a lot of experience behind back and that’s all I need to keep me going. No matter what you’re looking forward to later in life, keep your mind on it, work hard and you will get there.

Don’t Be Afraid To Ask For Help

Sometimes the stress really is too much, and we can’t handle it all on our own. There is absolutely nothing wrong with reaching out to someone for help. Professors should be kind enough to answer some questions during office hours and your workplace should allow you to cut back on hours. If there is too much on your plate, take some off. Even further than that, there are plenty of people surrounding you who would be more than willing to talk about the stress and anxiety you may be feeling, and there is no loss of dignity in talking to a professional if you feel you need that as well. Never feel as if you have to be doing a million things at once. If it’s too much for you, cut back. It’s as simple as that.

I understand that it’s hard to get back into the swing of things after three months of beaching, hanging with friends and binge-watching "Stranger Things," but as long as you keep your head up, stay organized and pay your bills on time, life shouldn’t be too hard. Here’s to not pulling all-nighters, staying away from 5-Hour Energies and leaving the hangovers for the weekends.