What Your Major Says About You

What Your Major Says About You

Some of the most common majors and their stereotypes.

542
What Your Major Says About You
Community Table - Parade

The common question when someone first meets you at college is "what's your major?" When you tell them, their reaction is something to the effect of "oh cool," or "awesome!" But have you ever wondered what your major really says about you, and what's behind those reactions? Well I've got some of the answers that you have been looking for.

1. Early Childhood Education

You are obsessed with kiddos and their cute chubby cheeks. Their laugh makes your heart melt and you must have a lot of patience. However, early childhood education majors always walk out of their classroom with a smile, and are some of the most passionate teachers. Besides the copious amounts of paper work that needs to be done through lesson plans, teacher work samples, and daily life, being around those little munchkins makes it all worth it.

2. Nursing

Why are you drowning yourself, praise y'all because I could never do it, and the infamous good luck. Do any of those sound familiar nursing majors? I'm sure you've also gotten hit with "I watch Grey's Anatomy, and that's the closest I'll ever get to being a doctor." Despite these lackluster reactions, nursing majors are some of the most dedicated students on campus. The only question I have is how do y'all make it through all those lab sciences?! I'm having a hard time getting through the two I need to take to graduate! Keep pushing, nursing majors, your hard work and dedication will be worth it.

3. Engineering

You must be REALLY good at math, and science, and blowing things up. You're going to make some serious bank in your field, is that why you chose it? What kind of engineering do you want to do? The stereotypes set with engineering majors. Think about this though, engineering majors are extremely intelligent. It requires a lot of left brain analytical power to be an engineering major, which is something others should admire. Keep at it, engineering majors, because we can't function in society without you!

4. Music

"You're going to be broke all the time," or "You're never going to make any money." Yeah, okay. Being a music major myself (I'm a music education major), I know that this isn't true, and that many performance opportunities come your way when you have the right connections. Don't even get me started on our crazy 9-11 class schedules (the stereotypes are already running through my head). Honestly, though, music majors are some of the most heartfelt and creative people I've ever met. They learn the art of conveying emotions through a universal language and interpret music exquisitely.

5. Psychology

"How does that make you feel," or "Oh my gosh, can you read my mind?!" That one has to be my favorite, honestly. Psychology, while its' formal definition is the study of the brain, is so much more intricate than that. They learn the process of the brain with the intention to eventually help people. Psychology majors can be some of our natural mental healers because they are learning the multiple ways that our brains think and what those thoughts mean. We would all go insane if it weren't for psychology majors.

6. Political Science

"Do you support Donald Trump?" I feel like political science majors hate getting asked either this question or those similar to it. While it brings about intriguing conversations, political science is more elaborate than whose name they selected at the voting booth. They are our future representatives, ambassadors, and natural born leaders that our country needs to function. Our country was founded on natural born leaders similar to what these hardworking students are studying in college.

7. Mass Communications

"What exactly can you do with your degree?" Many find this degree very pointless, but we should really be asking what can't they do with their degree. Mass communication majors are some of the most versatile humans to grace the earth. They have so many skills and talents they can use in the work force, which may help them in the job hunt later on. Mass communication enthusiasts are involved in your every day life, so give them credit because they deserve it.

8. Business

"Do you own a pantsuit?" On a more serious note though, a lot of people have this magical assumption that people pick business for the sake of they were undecided and thought that business would either be the easiest way out or to get a job. Okay, freeze. There are many stores, companies, and online storefronts in this world that we just can't seem to live without. They all started with businessmen and businesswomen that studied really hard to get to their current positions. It's not that they were undecided, they were adamant about changing the world.

Those are some of the generic majors, of course there are more, but I could write a novel on the stereotypes for every major on this planet. My only piece of advice to you is this: who cares about stereotypes? While they can be defining, let them define you in a positive way because that is when the true you shines. Embrace your major, and wear it proudly!