college outside the classroom

Yes, The Best Things In College Happen Outside the Classroom

College is primarily about education, but I've never heard any crazy college story start with "Remember that one time in class..."

755
College friends partying
Angelica Zdzienicki

I can't seem to recall more than a handful of joyous memories, in my last two years of college, that have happened inside of a classroom… except for the occasional cancelation of assignments or class.

While college is primarily about your education, that's not all it is. it's about everything else that happens outside of the classroom. In college, you are learning the ropes of a whole new lifestyle that come with great new experiences and opportunities, awesome friendships and memories, and by winning at some things, but failing at most.

Getting Involved

Getting more involved on campus is one of the best choices I've made in college. With joining a sorority and an all-girl fitness club, which in its own way was like a fitness sorority, it definitely set me up for lasting friendships and great memories. Getting involved with these organizations has helped me become better involved with campus, clubs, and events that I would've never heard of it I never met some of these people.

Along with being a part of something bigger than me, I met incredible people that set up connections for life, as well as set up new opportunities for my future.

Whether you decide to join Greek life (traditional or academic), an intramural sport, or a club, they all serve the same purpose of creating friends and having your own inner circle of people within the big campus community.

New Experiences + Opportunities

Personally, college has been a great rollercoaster ride of new experiences and opportunities for me. I may be only halfway through the ride, but I love it! Being in a whole new environment, without any adults, well besides the 20-ish so-called adults that we are meant to be, I've learned a lot that couldn't have been taught by a textbook. Time management and setting priorities were probably the hardest so far in college because while you want to spend every moment living it up in the crazy party scene of college, you are there for a degree. Although I wouldn't worry, I've learned there is time for both.

I have had so much fun trying new things with my friends, discovering what we like to do, what we want to wear, and what kind of foods we will forever be thankful we tried. I have stepped out of my comfort zone with new experiences I have gained through college, both small and large, and they have led to amazing opportunities in my academics, my future career, friendships, good times and life in general.

Friendships + Fun Times

Friends and Fun times, oh the fun times and the friends I have made in college. Where do I start? From the first close friend I made at orientation, to the most recent friend I made in my last class, I have had the craziest memories with my besties (and sometimes strangers) by my side. The great thing about college is that most everyone you meet has the possibility and potential to become your friend, it's all up to how outgoing you are. Most times you don't even need to be friends or even know some one's name, to have a good time in college.

I have made friends at the most random places on campus. The first time I realized this was my first week of college when I went to the dining hall and was waiting in line for a grilled cheese, and this girl and I bonded over our hanger after a stressful day of classes. We ended up sitting together because we had no one else to sit with and a mutual interest in grilled cheese.

I have also met a good amount of friends from being lost and wandering around my dorm freshman year, and most of the people I bumped into in those random wanders got me some really great friends. I wish I could capture and re-watch all the amazing and crazy fun stories and memories I have from college, but I get to relive new memories just about everywhere in college every day.

Have you ever heard anyone start their crazy college stories with "Remember that one time we were in class…" no, I am pretty sure you haven't, but you have heard "Remember that one time we were at that bar/party/restaurant/school club/library/ sporting event and we totally made a fool of our self?" When in college, make sure you enjoy

To summarize, Yes, college is important but the most important memories are not necessarily made in the classroom. They're made with your new best friends, with that cute guy you met at the party, with your study buds while you pull off endless all-nighters, screaming your fight song with every school spirited student, and some of the most unpredictable nights with your roommates. Get involved in your campus, get involved in the community your campus is a part of, get involved with your new peeps. All this is guaranteed to create the best memories you will have on campus.