College: Expectations Versus Reality

College: Expectations Versus Reality

What you should know before your first day

1246
College: Expectations Versus Reality
media.licdn.com

When you start thinking about going to college, many questions may arise. Ones that may seem pointless can actually be important. In this article, we briefly explain all of the expectations versus realities relating to those questions you may have regarding college.

First Day of Class

Expectation - It is going to be a great exciting day, you will meet so many new people! The whole campus is so excited to have the first day of class. You have that one class you just know you are going to love.

Reality - Everyone is nervous and most people are reserved and just want to get through the day. By the end of the day, you are so exhausted and you are sick of seeing so many new people, but you are happy to be there. That one teacher you thought you were going to love just sent you home with a 200-page introduction to read by Wednesday.

First Party

Expectations - There will be about 150-200 people, all of them welcoming and inviting, who just want to dance and post cool pictures. The music will be great, all of your newly made friends will be by your side, and everyone will be in for a memorable night!

Reality - The only music playing is that one kid who is trying to be a rapper forcing you all to listen to his mixtape. You're probably going to get offered to try some sort of foreign, disgusting drug at least five to seven times that night, and you'll end up seeing your best friends hanging out with your ex. But don't fret, holidays like Halloween and St. Patrick's day bring the most killer parties. You just gotta get through the rough ones!

Dorm Room

Expectations - You and your roommate are going to be best friends on day one. There will always be free food in the lounge and a massive flat screen TV. The room will be as big as a master bedroom with enough room for a decent size couch. Who needs to clean when there are maids?

Reality - Your roommate might not be comfortable with you yet, you need to give him/her some time to learn the type of person you are. Your RA might have food in the lounge a couple times during the year to bring the community together for an annual meeting, but there will be a nice TV. Unfortunately, it depends on how your dorms are built, but my first dorm room was the size of my parent's bathroom. I am not joking when I say you learn how to use up every ounce of space to the fullest. Finally, the custodians are only obligated to clean the bathrooms, hallways, and lounges. They do not clean your room, so unless you are cool with being sick frequently I recommend taking some cleaning tips from your mom.

Roommates

Expectation - You and your roommate are gonna be partners in crime! They'll be your first friend in college, and you expect to have matching Halloween costumes as well as cute Netflix dates. No matter what, you have each others' back.

Reality - At some point in your college career, you will have to face the "crazy roommate situation". It's inescapable. We all have to do it. Maybe not your first year, but it will come. Their slight downfalls such as never cleaning lead to them plotting your murder. Yikes! If you're in a dorm room, contact your RA to at least let them know what's up. If you're in off-campus housing, just accept you learned your lesson and move out as soon as possible!

Food on Campus

Expectation - The dining hall will look like the food court in the mall and you will have unlimited meal swipes at all of the restaurants. It will be a dream come true! The food will be delicious and there will be free dessert.

Reality - There will be a cafeteria with healthy food choices. You will only have a certain number of meal swipes per week, so you will have to learn to swipe wisely. Also, there will probably be some type of desert, but don't expect it to have more than 200 calories per serving.

Moving Out of the House

Expectation - We're finally free from the clutches of our parents! You have your own little room (or half a room) that is totally your space. No curfews, family nights, or anything that gets in between you and sweet, sweet freedom.

Reality - "Who is going to pay for my laundry detergent? I have to wash my own sheets now? You mean no one brings me medicine when I'm feeling sick? I wish my mom was here, she always knows exactly what to say."

Social Media

Expectation - You're gonna post all the cool Instagram pictures that celebrities do. Let's all get our nails done, hop in our Range Rover, and get those really cool rainbow bagels everyone is always posting about. Hundreds of likes, here we come!

Reality - Did you know rainbow bagels are expensive? And unless you're investing in a 1500 dollar camera, that picture is gonna come out just like all of your friends' crappy iPhone pictures. And no, Stephanie, we don't want to take another picture of your "ootd." Just buy your likes and forget about it!

Budgeting

Expectation - You will have plenty of money to spend wherever and whenever. You won't have to worry about how much you spend because it is all taken care of.

Reality - In college, spending money is much easier than it was at home due to the fact that your parents aren't there to tell you not to waste money. Trust me, I know that it is really fun to be able to eat out and go shopping, but it is important to save your money. In today's world everything is very expensive even if it doesn't seem like it, it is.

Community Bathroom

Expectation - OK, come on, if you have high hopes for your community bathroom you're a bit delusional. But with a cleaning staff, it can't be the worst thing in the world, right?

Reality - It's pretty close. But no one ever said you had to use the specific bathroom on your floor. You can always find the cleanest floor and go up there to shower. If you're a girl, plan on doing your makeup and hair in your room somewhere to avoid the in and out of other residents, and the mess they leave behind. You'll get through it!

Weekend Activities

Expectation - Weekends will be very exciting all the time. There will always be something going on, on campus.

Reality - Usually people are tired from the long week past, and they just want to catch up on sleep. The campus will have activities going on, but maybe not every weekend. You do have the opportunity to get off campus and explore the area around you. At night, there should be fun events to participate in also!

These examples of expectations versus realities are not meant to push you away. We wanted to touch on these topics just to give a sense of what you can actually expect to see, versus what you think you might experience based on what you have heard elsewhere.