A Goodbye Letter To My Favorite Thing In My Room

An ode to my beautiful window

1501
Katie Millard

I am writing this from a double room (a dorm for two students) that I live in alone, but I will have moved out by the time this is posted. I am being bumped into a single room down the hall, and I am incredibly fortunate to be doing so. I know that singles are beyond difficult to come by on campus right now and to be getting one just down the hall rather than in an entirely new building is a Godsend. I am getting this room change due to the extreme kindness of several people at the university who went above and beyond for me - and I am incredibly grateful to be moving.

Still, I love everything about my current room: the location, the two sets of furniture I have taken over, and, above all else, my beautiful enormous window. While I am excited and so grateful to be moving, I must admit I will miss my current room's beautiful second window, a gift full of natural light and a luxury only provided to corner rooms of buildings.

I am definitely a person affected by how much sunlight they get, and the overhead lights in my building are very dim. So thank you, second window, for flooding my room with sunshine and making me happy. Thank you, too, for your stunning view of college green. Whenever it rained, I would look out of you and romanticize my life like nobody's business. I am lucky to have gotten to enjoy you.

My new room has a window, but half of it will be covered by an AC unit. I would not give up the opportunity to move for anything, but as I sit here in my last few days in room 328, I am drawn to my window. It has genuinely given me so much serotonin and joy since I've moved in, and I can't wait to see where my life goes upon moving into this new room.So thank you, dear window, it's been wonderful. And to my new room, window or not, I cannot wait to see where life takes us.