Finding your bridesmaids in college.
relationships

I Don’t Pay 60K A Year To Find My Husband— That Investment Is To Find My Bridesmaids

Having a strong girl gang trumps anything "Brad" or "Chad" can offer.

3580
Libby Redd

Ever since I can remember, I have dreamed of falling in love with the perfect man. Tall. Dark. Handsome. Determined. In middle school, I even had a Pinterest board named "The Day I Say I Do" that had hundreds of pins of wedding dresses, decor for the venue and reception, engagement rings, and only God knows what else. My favorite movies were things like "The Notebook" and "The Last Song." I was a true hopeless romantic. Little did my sweet (and hopeful) young self know, that "perfect" Prince Charming I yearned for was extremely hard to find. In addition, Prince Charming, if he even existed for me, was not interested in me at this age.

Disclaimer: I am not saying true love does not exist.

My parents were high school sweethearts and I 100% percent look to them as the ultimate "power couple." But, for me, that didn't work out.

I soon found that all the time and energy I put into trying to be "good enough" for some stupid boy, I could be putting into myself. The tears I wasted and heartache I suffered were all for what? I decided for myself that I am not an option. My self worth is not and will never be defined by the opinion of someone else, especially not some guy that I found "cute."

I started doing things that made me truly happy. I've always been extroverted, so hanging out with friends more often energized me and was refreshing for my soul. I worried less about how I looked and more about how I felt and how I was making others around me feel.

I truly believe now that finding good friends in college is absolutely a priority compared to looking for someone to marry. Who's going to go with you to get your nails done? Who will give you an honest opinion of the eleven different screenshots of discounted dresses that you want to order for the next date party that is actually in just a few days so you need them to reply immediately? Who will help you stick to (or cheat) your spring break diet? Who is going to fix your eyeliner after you've screwed it up five times? Who will let you raid their closet, try on every outfit, just to put on what you originally had on? Answer: your girls.

I could not be more thankful for the girl's that my freshman year of college gave me. Whether it's the girls across the hall who knock on the door half past midnight to borrow the salt shaker, or the girls in chemistry class who all simultaneously write notes with colored pens, or the girls I know have my back any day of the week, no matter what and no matter where.

After all, I'm willing to wait on God's timing for the perfect guy for me, considering if that is in his plan for me. In the meantime, however, I'll hang with my girls.

I refuse to surrender my sovereignty and settle for anything less than what I deserve. Plus, if "girls just wanna have fun" that sounds a whole lot better to me than stressing over trying to get someone in the male species to like me.

...Maybe I'll look for my husband in graduate school.